As promised, we are releasing THREE new plugins this week!  minical

The first is an easy way of accepting payments or donations right inside your blog.

The second, which has been a highly requested feature, gives you the ability to place a calendar on any post or page in your blog.

This plugin can be used as an event calendar, lesson plan book, or maybe a class birthday calendar.  We would love to hear about other ways that this feature might be used.  Feel free to leave a comment below with your ideas!

So how do you use the plugin?

calendaroptionsIt’s easy.  Pro and Campus users can activate the plugin from their dashboard.  This will create a new Calendar tab near the bottom of the left column in the dashboard where you can configure the calendar.

The most common way to use the calendar is to create a new page and copy and paste {CALENDAR} into the page where you want the calendar to appear.  Make sure to include the brackets and use all upper case letters.  This can be used on any page or post in a blog.

To add events, click on Manage Calendar on the calendar tab.  Events can be recurring, scheduled for all day, or given specific times.  You can assign events to different categories and give each category a different color so it can be easily identified on the calendar.  You might find ColorPicker.com useful when assigning colors.

And what about widgets?

Once the plugin is activated, you will find two new widgets to put in your blog’s sidebars.  There is one for “Today’s Events” and one for “Upcoming Events”.

A calendar may just be the perfect addition to a class blog to keep students and parents informed. Stay tuned for tomorrow’s release of plugin number three!

About Ronnie Burt

Manages the Edublogs, CampusPress, and WPMU DEV Hosting services. Former secondary math teacher and wannabe musician. Follow @ronnieburt on twitter!

1. Hi, my district has a campus subscription but I do not see “calendar” anywhere in the plugins that I can activate. Has this feature been enabled for all campus users?

• Erin
  2. I can not get my calendar to work! I have followed the instructions, deactivated, reactivated and still no success. The calendar appears jumbled on the page. The widgets are not visible. Any suggestions?

• Hi Catherine,

The problem was in the “settings” page for the calendar we needed to select “Yes” to show upcoming events. You will now see the widget in the bottom right corner of you blog.

However, there does seem to be some formatting problems with the widget (as it should look better than that) which we are working on improving.

Thanks!
      Ronnie

• Ronnie
  3. I am a pro user and I cannot seem to find the calendar plugin in my dashboard? Where should I be looking?

• Mr. Stam
    • Hi there,

The calendar plugin isn’t on edublogs.org any longer unfortunately (though it is still on our Campus sites). We’re working on improving it and bringing it back sometime in the future.

A good alternative is to embed a google calendar into your blog for the time being. Thanks!

4. I have tried to embed a google calendar. Worked fine until I signed out of my Google account. Then, when I went to have a look at the calendar on my blog, it had disappeared.
    Just can’t seem to get it to stay there…

• Stewart Whitney
    • It sounds like perhaps the calendar isn’t set to public on google or maybe something else is going on. Can you email us at support@edublogs.org with a link to where you are embedding the calendar and we’ll get you fixed up? :)

5. Hi,

I am wanting to be able to have parents register if they are able to help in the classroom. I want to list times and activities and allow them to register their interest etc.

I think a calendar booking plugin like the ‘Appointment Booking and Online Scheduling Plugin by vCita’ would be great.

Is there anything like that?
    Thanks!

• clairebirbeck886
    • Hi Claire – thanks for the feedback.

We don’t have any plans for such plugins at the moment, but many of our users like the Volunteerspot.com service which does much of what you are saying (if not all). Have you seen that before and given it a try?

• Ronnie Burt