International Holocaust Remembrance Day

Last Friday was International Holocaust Day. I read three id cards about people who lived through the Holocaust. The narratives I read were about the lives of Ruth Singer, David Mendal and Samson Reichstein I think it is important

Here are a summary of their stories:

Ruth was forced to leave Germany and go to Poland, then her dad died, then she was put into a ghetto for Jews, then she was shipped to a labor camp in Germany. Ruth was probably very scared because she didn’t know what was going to happen to her and she was probably very sad about losing her father and home. 

David lost his youngest daughter and wife; they were killed by the Germans. He was taken on a train to a killing center but he escaped by prying up the train floorboards. He escaped and ran to a farm where in exchange for work they kept him safe. But he went to try and find his daughter and reboarded to train, but they found him and killed him. His daughter was already at a nearby farm where she had also escaped.

Samson was a Polish Jew and was deported to Poland with his wife and baby son before the Polish border. The men were shoved off the train and beaten and shoved all the way to the Polish border. He found his family but later was put in jail by the Germans for apparently escaping from labor detail. In jail he thought a soviet guard was going to kill him but he was released and escaped to the United States.

I think it is important to remember the Holocaust so it never happens again. I think it is also important to educate people about the Holocaust so they understand the impact of it on people.