Holocaust Remembrance Day

Hello! It’s me, Bianca.

On Friday, it was the international Holocaust Remembrance day.

I read the story of Vladka Meed, a young Polish Holocaust survivor. Vladka was a member of the Jewish Resistance.

Women from the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising | Muzeum Historii Żydów Polskich POLIN w Warszawie Vladka Meed (Feigele Peltel) (29.12.1921 – 22.11.2012) - Muzeum Getta Warszawskiego EN

I read about Vladka on this site: https://echoesandreflections.org/podcast-for-students/

PDF of story

Why is it important to remeber the Holocaust every year?

It is important to remeber this event in history. Some people think it’s better to forget, But that is incorrect. So why do we remember? We remeber because it is important that history never repeats itself. If everyone forgets of the horrors that happened in World War 2, it can happen again. We have to stand up for our rights especially after learning what our culture went through.

What did I learn from the website?

I learned lots about Vladka Meed. It’s interesting for me to learn about other people’s expiriences. Vladka was brave enough to be part of a resistence, smuggling things in and out of her ghetto in Warsaw and helping children out. Vladka looked Polish and Christian enough, so she made a fake ID and was free to wander the streets. This inspired me to be brave. I’d want to help the Jews, my family,  in every way possible. This story made me think about what I’d do in Vladka’s time. Would I be strong and fierce enough to join the resistence? I think this would be great to teach to future generations: Stand up for yourself and for your loved ones.

Thank you for reading my blog post!