On Your Marks…

It’s surprising just how quick a six week holiday can actually disappear. That may sound a little gloating, especially to the majority who don’t get the same holidays as teachers, but really it’s just an observation. Time flies, it really does. I remember when I was a kid and I’d think about the day I would finally leave school behind and set off into the big wide world and it seemed a lifetime away. I remember calculating how old I’d be in the year 2000 (not saying) and thinking that it would be forever until it came around. I think it probably all comes down to perspective. If you’re waiting for something to happen, excited for it, it seems that time slows down; you become the donkey, trudging after the carrot dangling from a stick, never getting closer. However, if you’re in the middle of something and are so enjoying it you wish it could last forever… Poof! Up in smoke it goes in the blink of an eye. So, back to my holiday and… Poof! However, like I say, it’s about perspective. We often hear parents saying they can’t wait for the holidays to be over, and for those parents I suppose the six weeks may have dragged. But, a new time is about to begin. The final year of primary school for my new class of students! Maybe at the end of the year I’ll hear comments about how quick it’s all gone, or perhaps the comments will reflect the opposite. Whichever it will be, the end is a long way off (or is it?) and the journey is only about to begin. Will it be a sprint or a long distance slog?

On your marks…