Four years ago I began this regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention.

You might also be interested in The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELLs In 2016 – Part Two and The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELLs In 2017 – So Far.

Here are this week’s choices:

Phonics for English Learners? What Do You Think? is a post by literacy expert Timothy Shanahan, and is the best piece I’ve ever read on phonics and ELLs. Unfortunately, he doesn’t actually recommend how best to teach phonics, but I guess you can’t have everything. I’m adding it to The Best Articles & Sites For Teachers & Students To Learn About Phonics.

Summer Reading for English-Language-Learner Educators is from Education Week.

Thousands of English-Learners Fall Short on Test of Language Skills is from Education Week. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning About The Ins & Outs Of Reclassifying ELLs.

13 commonly made mistakes in Modern Language Instruction is by Gianfranco Conti.

The Schools Transforming Immigrant Education is from The Atlantic.

I talk about how I use photo collages for a language acquisition activity both in this NY Times post and in The Best Ways To Use Photos In Lessons.  The NY Times has published another nice collage that would be useful.

How exposure to a foreign language ignites infants’ learning is from Science Daily.

Next Generation Learning Models for ELL Students is from Getting Smart.

RTI and English Learners: 4 Considerations is by Jana Echevarria. I’d like to particularly recommend her seven questions “to distinguish between disability and language difference.” I’ m adding it to The Best Resources On Assisting ELLs With Special Needs – Help Me Find More.

I’m adding this tweet to The Best Sites To Teach About African-American History: