Joy

The picture I found waiting for me when I arrived home on Saturday

Life is about ebb and flow.

For me, there is a constant push and pull between exhaustion and exhilaration; sorrow and joy; absence and presence; feeling competent and impostor syndrome.

All of the things.

But, this weekend, there was joy in recovering.

I got some things done this weekend. I often wish I could say that I didn’t work at all over the weekend, but I honestly probably wouldn’t feel good on any weekend where I didn’t work at all. Part of my passion lies in work-related life, educating, responding to students, answering messages from colleagues, preparing for the week ahead so it feels less frantic.

But I also got some other things done. I slept a lot. I spent time with my kids. I went grocery shopping with my husband and daughter. I cooked dinner tonight for the first time in so long (salmon, roasted potatoes and green beans). I watched junk television (I love junk television so much, mostly competitive reality shows like The Voice and Worst Cooks in America). I sang at church then went home to spend more time with my family. I ate well. It was lovely.

It was not a “perfect” weekend.  I am still not 100%. I still could use some rest.

But there were moments of joy in this weekend.  There were moments where I did the best I could and it wasn’t the greatest, but it was what it was, and I was okay with that.

This weekend was progress and growth, it was the flow of the ebb and flow.  It was love and it was joy.  It was moments of simplicity in the complexity of the everyday.

And for that, I am so grateful.

But, PS. If you see me in real life, I could use support in remembering the simple, the present and the joy in the midst of all-too-busy life.  Please and thank you.