Gratitude in the New Year

I’ve been thinking a lot about all that there is to be grateful for in our school district. If we reframe our thinking from “I have to go to school today” to “I get to go to school today”, we can look at all of the great things around us rather than focusing on any negatives. As adults in the system we have a responsibility to approach each day in a positive, optimistic way because our students take their cues from us.

The building principal and teachers set the tone for the whole day–a teacher who sees a grumpy principal in the hallway may wonder, “what did I do to make him mad?” or “I wonder if there’s something bad happening.” The same goes for students who have a teacher who’s off or negative that day. For our students who come to us with a higher level of anxiety already, the attitude of the teacher has a huge impact.

I remember a quote–can’t remember if it’s a movie, cartoon or something else–in which a character says, “I’m fine! I’m not upset or angry!” and the response is “tell your face that.” We do have to be conscious to refresh our physical screen–our faces, attitudes, body language–for each new encounter.

I love the fresh start of the school year and then again, the turn of the calendar to a new year. Here’s my top ten list of those things for which I’m grateful professionally. What’s yours?

1. The other 312 SGI employees who come here everyday to do their best for our students and families. Whatever our work–driving a bus, cleaning the buildings or fixing the systems that keep us running, clearing the driveways of snow, cooking, clerical, teaching, leading or supporting–we all come here in the service of our 1700 students. Thank you for bringing your best, every single day.
  2. Our Board of Education members, volunteers in the classroom or on a field trip or special day, PTA members. Thank you for your support and for caring about everyone!
  3. Warm buildings, good food, loving hearts.
  4. Families. We have supportive, well-meaning families who support our schools in 1000 different ways.
  5. School Resource Officer Deputy Ricky Lundberg who goes above and beyond every day to help our students and to keep everyone safe.
  6. Our leadership team–the people I most rely on day in and day out. As hard working, smart, caring, dedicated and professional a team as I’ve been a part of anywhere.
  7. My professional network–the colleagues I call with questions, attorneys, construction manager, architects, financial advisors, auditors, NYSCOSS friends, and BOCES employees. I don’t know everything but I sure do know who to call to ask for help. For those who have become my friends over the years, I’m especially grateful for you.
  8. Our local taxpayers for supporting our school budgets and also our students who often ask for fundraising help. Our local businesses are the best!
  9. Our STUDENTS–the reason we exist and an incredibly kind, sharp, open group of young people who give me hope for the future. 
  10. My family, especially my husband Derek, who have supported my work as a school administrator for 20 years. Thank you for always tolerating my schedule, the nights I’m too tired to cook and my very early bedtime.

I plan to hold onto this list in 2020 and to enjoy each and every day at SGI. Best wishes for a happy, healthy new year to our entire school family!

1. Sometimes people say being on a school board is thankless. I just believe they’ve never found a district like ours. Happiest holidays to you and yours, Kim.

2. An exemplary list Kim. I am so very thankful for all those I get to work with each and every day! Our SGI Community is truly awesome!

3. Thank You for bringing it all back into perspective!!!!I love my job and I try everyday to put myself in the shoes of our students, and how they need me to be for them. I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your family, I know I will. See you in the New Year!!!!
    Brenda Ditchey