March 30

#LearningfromaDistance-Episode4

Ahoy Friends!

How Arrrrrre you doing? I think of you each day and hope you are smiling and doing well!

If you want to know a bit more about pirates, I’ve assigned a few books to you on Epic!

Language–Firstly, if you haven’t started journaling your daily experiences, you should! You are part of history right now. What we are living through will be talked about for generations to come. Record things like events, feelings, fears, and so on. You can write it, type it, video it, draw, interview your parents, and so on.  Do this each day for about 10 minutes.

Biography in a Bag project. OK, so we left off with choosing our person we were each going to research. Now is the time to get moving with it! While we don’t have books easily on hand, we can use Epic or the internet to gather our research.

Step 1: Read and learn all that you can about your person. Get to know them. What makes them interesting? How are they important? What do you want others to know about him/her?

[embeddoc url=”https://learningin21.edublogs.org/files/2020/03/biographyresearch.pdf” download=”all” viewer=”google” ]

Step 2: Prepare an introduction about your person. Perhaps start with a question or simply tell us WHO you are presenting about. (Don’t state your name, though). Provide a brief summary of this person and why they are important.

Step 3: Find 8-12 items to symbolize/represent the person you read about and place in a bag. Items can symbolize hobbies, accomplishments, character traits, etc.When presenting, pull out one item at a time and talk about what that item teaches us about your person.

Step 4: Wear something, a prop, or dress as your person and create a 2-3 minute presentation on your person. (For instance, if you are presenting about Walt Disney you could wear Mickey Mouse ears.)

Step 5: Email your video to Mrs. S with next Monday as the goal.

You might find this video entertaining as to how these students presented their ideas!

The video below shows some ideas of symbols.

Art–A neat idea is to create Stained Glass Chalk art on a wooden fence!

Math–How did you do on your quiz? We’re nearing the end of learning the times tables. Your last 2 are the 7s and 8s. If you wish, make those flash cards to help you with practicing them. We’ll have another quiz on Friday with ALL of the numbers from 0 to the 10s mixed together.

How are your 3D robots looking? Did you get yours to stand up? What 3D shapes did you use? Share yours by taking a picture.

Division–We had a good start with division before we left for March Break. We know the connection between multiplication and division, we did plenty of practice using cubes to understand the concept of ‘sharing’, we learned about different words associated with division such as: sharing, cut up, equal groups, leftovers or remainders, quotient, and so on. We also learned some of the symbols with division.

Today, practice using Mathletics. Most of you should have 2-3 assignments.

Posted March 30, 2020 by MrsS in category 2019-2020, Teacher Talk

2 thoughts on “#LearningfromaDistance-Episode4

1. C.M

Dear Mrs. Sullivan,
    I’m glad that Brightbill made it back home safely and I’m sad that Longneck died! I heared that Brightbill and Roz had the same thing happen. Both of them lost a friend to the cold! I miss everyone!
    From,
    C.M

1. MrsS (Post author)

Dear C.M.,
      I am relieved that Brightbill returned safely with the flock. It is sad and disappointing that the human would feel the need to shoot Longneck.
      I miss everyone, too.
      Love, Mrs. Sullivan