Learning Out Loud

I’m engaged in a learning opportunity for the next 8 weeks at change.school with Will Richardson and Bruce Dixon. We’ve only been through weeks zero and one and yet I’m already inspired by the engagement with the larger community of learners and excited about the possibilities ahead.

I’ve never been a leader who believes in maintaining the status quo. My job is to evaluate all aspects of the organization and identify areas in which we can improve. That desire to make a significant difference is what influenced my thinking when I made the move from an 8 year superintendency in a district I loved to a new role as the superintendent here in Springville. I wanted the challenge of working to improve a school district that frankly has suffered somewhat over the past decade.

Now that we’re through the initial getting to know each other time, I’m planning to start writing here about my learning experiences at change.school–to learn out loud. If I write about something I’m thinking or struggling with or excited about and it strikes you or you want to share your thinking back, please do. You can comment here or call me, email or stop in. I’d love to hear what you think as I work to develop a playbook moving forward.

I believe we’re in a very special time here in Springville, at a “tipping point” in public education as described in Malcolm Gladwell’s book The Tipping Point. We can’t be complacent about the way school’s always been–no matter how much some of us may love the way it’s always been–we need to work hard to make public education the best choice.

Springville-Griffith Institute Central School District is the perfect public school district where we can transform public education. I can see it. This BOE and this administrative team and this faculty and staff together with our incredible students and families—we can change our school so that we’re realizing today’s goals for learning for today’s students.

Now, let’s spend some time figuring out where we’re going and what we want a Springville-Griffith education to be, together I’m betting on US, that we can do it better than it’s been done for over one hundred years. We’ll keep what’s wonderful and add in what makes more sense.

And don’t worry–I won’t say, “hey I had this great learning experience and now this is what I’m telling everyone to do next”. Instead I’m working on a playbook–a plan or set of strategies for moving forward to determine together where we’re going and who we want to be. 

One Comment
  1. Ms. Moritz, I want to take this opportunity to applaud and Thank you for your passion. I just read your Learning Out Loud newsletter and am very anxious to read more! ( I will also be reading the books you post to stay more informed…thank you for my summer reading 😉

As a student (quite some time ago) a parent (and step parent for and SGI student) and a recent Substitute Teacher for SGI, I have always been a believer in non-traditional/alternative learning! I struggled, my son struggled and now I see others struggle to get through school just to be “Someone”

Individually, we each come from different families, cultures and lifestyles, typically dictating our way of learning as well as having different “Dreams” for our adult life after graduation.

With all of the obvious changes in our environment, technology and social media our educational techniques are struggling to keep up.

I am going to pray that Change School has the impact on you, our community and our schools and educators, staff and learners as you wish!

P.S. If any of your studies, programs or opportunities with this study require volunteer guinea pigs or activities I would certainly enjoy being a member of your team.

Best of Everything Ms. Moritz!