Did you know that the fastest and easiest way to add new features to your blog is by embedding widgets into the sidebar of your blog?

To help you out, here is a list of the most popular and most useful widgets that can be added to your blog in no time.

Scroll down to the bottom of this post for more instructions on how to add widgets to your blog. Don’t forget, these widgets can also be embedded using the HTML tab in any page or post as well!

Visitor Statistics

1. clustrClustrMaps – The most popular widget on Edublogs.  Displays a small map with “dots” for each of your visitors.
  2. Flag Counter – Lists the most common countries that your visitors are from and shows the flag from each country.
  3. Who’s Among Us – With an account, includes some nice stat collection tools.
  4. My Web Counter – Simple and free visitor counters with many custom looks and designs.

Talking Avatars

1. Voki – Add a speaking and highly customizable avatar to your blog.  Record you voice, create a character, and much more!
  2. Read The Words – Human avatars that will read text or recorded audio right in your blog.
  3. Site Pal – A paid widget that can make scarily realistic avatars using uploaded photos of you or students.

1. Clock Link – 100’s of different and unique clocks of all types.
  2. AccuWeather – The most complete collection of weather widgets to show current conditions and forecasts.
  3. Box.net – Create a file dropbox or upload widget for students to submit files for your review.
  4. Feed Wind – Display the latest posts from another blog anywhere on the web.
  5. Sweet Search – Place a search box for a trusted and safe for students search engine.

Google Apps

*These widgets also will all work with Google Apps for Education users too!

1. Google Calendar – Embed a list of upcoming events or a month view of a public Google calendar.
  2. Google Talk Chatback – Put a badge in your sidebar that lets users chat with you live when you are online. Your blog’s visitors don’t even need a gtalk account to chat with you.
  3. Google Maps – Embed a Google map – complete with directions, street views, and more.
  4. Google Gadgets – Choose from hundreds of different widgets, including games, trivia and more.

1. schooltubeFlickr Slideshow and Badges – Easily add photos from your flickr account to your sidebar.
  2. Facebook Photo Gallery – Show off your public facebook photo galleries right on your blog.
  3. SchoolTube MVP – Share popular videos from SchoolTube.com with easy sidebar access.
  4. YouTube – Place in YouTube channels or top trending videos.
  5. Mixpod – Create a music play list and share it on your blog.
  6. RadioTuna – Pick a genre and play music for your visitors.

1. Google Translate – Instantly translate your blog into many different languages.
  2. Transparent.com Word of the Day – Audio and visual word of the day. Customizable in many of the world’s languages such as Spanish, French, German, Chinese and many more.
  3. Reverso Translation – Translorts, verb conjugators, and more in many different languages.

1. Shelfari – Show off your favorite books for others to see.
  2. Education Atlas – Free thesaurus and dictionary widget with many features.
  3. SitePal Widgetbox – Mentioned above, but this widget will allow readers to type in or copy and paste words to be read out loud.

Science & Math

1. Science Score – A science question of the day. Students can even enter to win prizes.
  2. Wolfram AlphaQuite possibly the best resource on this list – Wolfram Alpha contains hundreds of customizable math and science widgets, including unit converters, weather tools, graphing calculators, problem solvers, and much more. This might be the only resource math and science students and teachers need for their blogs!

1. Info Please – Nice looking “this day in history” widget that displays multiple events and updates every day.
  2. Timeline Index – 30 different timelines showcasing several different periods of history – including US presidents, world history outline, philosophers, and explorers.

Widget Sites & Collections

1. widgetboxWidgetBox.comThe definite go-to place to find and build your own widgets. Edublogs uses several widgets from here on our main site!
  2. SpringWidgets.comAnother great source for widgets from many of your favorite sites on the web. User reviews and comments help you find the perfect widget for your blog.
  3. Widgipedia.comLike the two sites above, wigipedia is a huge and growing collections of widgets of all types and sizes.

How To Embed

1. Choose the widget of your choice and copy the html code for it.

2.  Go to Appearance > Widgets in your blog dashboard

Appearance > Widgets menu item

3.  Click on the desired Sidebar to expand (so you can add the widgets)

4.  Add a text widget to the desired sidebar by dragging it from the Available Widgets into the Sidebar area on the right.

5.  The widget will automatically open — just add the HTML code for your widget, click Save and then Close.

Adding HTML embed code to voki

6.  You should now see the widget in your blog sidebar!

Related Links

Since there are thousands and thousands of widgets to use, we are certain to have overlooked a few of your favorites. Leave a comment below with any that we missed so that we can add to the list!

About Ronnie Burt

Manages the Edublogs, CampusPress, and WPMU DEV Hosting services. Former secondary math teacher and wannabe musician. Follow @ronnieburt on twitter!

1. Pingback: Widgets Anyone? | 21st Century Technology @ MHS

2. the google ones don’t work i’ve tried :(

3. I cant get the clock one or the radio tunes one to work on my page.

4. I am not able to add shlefari to my blog!!

• lsclass
  5. Pingback: Widget Links | The Blogging Bunch

6. Pingback: This is a link to the top wigets to put on blogs | cheese cakes of all sorts

7. i have tried to copy the o’clock script, but its not come out in my blog. There’s only script i see in my blog, not the o’clock. What should I do?

• dewee
    • I think u need a pro account

• Tajshar2k
    • Insert it into HTML area, not Text…

• taylor
  8. Pingback: Oh, Those "Wascally" Widgets! « A True North

9. Pingback: Welcome New Bloggers!

10. I am not able to add Shelfari to my blog either. Very frustrating

• younglibrarian
  11. It seems that this is not as easy as the staff would like us to believe. I’m trying to get the email subscription on one of my blogs even though it is upgraded to Pro. Its not showing up as an option.

• sharongarvar
    • Sorry to hear you are having trouble. If you haven’t done so already, can you email us at support (at) edublogs.org or use the Email Support link in your Pro menu to let us know your blog address and describe a bit more about your problem. We’re happy to fix you right up!

12. hi thank you for helping me for my learning

• georgiao2012
  13. Pingback: TIME MANAGEMENT.

14. Pingback: Class 56 - Adding Widgets to your Blog

15. Pingback: Adding clocks widgets | Tasmanian Blogs

16. Pingback: Adding clock widgets | Tasmanian Blogs

17. I tried adding 2 vokis to my blog, and also a clustermap. They both work very well! :)

• Abby
  18. I love Cluster Maps.
    Worked for me:)

• jakebbps13
  19. Your support is always so comprehensive and thoughtful! Thank you!

• Mr. Underhill
  20. hi,
    i am looking for libraries containing only educational widgets for
    because the °Widget Sites & Collections° contain widgets including the category education.
    thanks in advance

• vic
  21. Thanks 4 these awesome widgets!

• Mahie
  22. Thanks very much for this resource. I was looking for a translator widget and behold…you provided quite a few. Much appreciated!

• Gareth R-J
  23. I always have the YouTube widget in my blog’s sidebar so it advertises my YouTube channel and helps give my blog more content. Thanks for the list.

• nomadic