Well, odds are you’ve noticed that Edublogs has just undergone a pretty radical upgrade – and that your admin area is looking a heap of a lot different!

In particular you’ll notice that the admin menu now goes down the side – rather than the top, and that everything has gone all drag ‘n drop pretty, but that’s not the all of it.

There’s also vastly improved uploading / media management, far better management tools for posts, pages, links, tags, categories and almost everything that can be managed!

And there are some plain excellent new features, like QuickPress – now featuring in your dashboard:

If you and your students need some assistance we’ve also been working like dogs to get the new Help & Support section up to date… it’s pretty much there but we’ll be adding new stuff to it as we go into the 2009 – 2010 academic year.

In particular you might like to share around our guide for Getting Started with Edublogs – it also comes with handy downloadable pdfs!

If you;re looking for someone to thank for them (or to complain about to if you hate them ;) the you’ll want to catch up with Sue Waters aka The Edublogger.

But that’s not all there is!

This year we’re going to be adding amazing new features, themes and plugins to Edublogs.org blogs and Edublogs Campus so now is the time to let us know of any extra features that you’d like to see.

As well as any bugs you might encounter with the new upgrade… but we’re hoping there are very few of them :)

Here’s to a great Edubloggin’ 2009 – 2010!

1. @jolene – you’ll need to add the link to the file in via the uploader first – a bit annoying (we know) and we’ll see what we can do to fix it.

@lots of people – we’ll take a look at the add users section again and make extra sure everything is working.

@alse lots of people – if you are a supporter, go to setings > writing to enable xml-rpc and then Flock, scribefire, iphones and all your other third party applications will work just fine again (reason we’ve limited this to supporters is that it was being used by bad spammy people)… but we might reconsider this… more info on that soon.

@crinaldi – you shoudl be able to insert a video via the uploader… just make sure you include the link via the uploader before you hit insert.

@ everyone.. thanks for the excellent feedback :)

2. Like many other contributors to this blog, I’m now unable to add students to our group blog. Is it the intention to push all educators onto a paid subscription? If that is the case, please advise.

• ashfieldesl
    • /
    • /
  3. I can no longer upload pdf files. I go through all the steps for uploading the file and inserting it into the post, but no one can download or view the file–they only see the title.

• riserjodyb
    • /
    • /
  4. You said you’re working on the add users, but will non-subscribers be allowed to add users? I just spent a ridiculous amount of time setting up user names for my students, and then the update happened. I can’t pay just so I can use a blog for someone other than myself.

• Ms. B
    • /
    • /
  5. i dont know how to use any thing

• kermit1
    • /
    • /
  6. I was able to add 3 users, but then it says that the email has already been used and that the user name has already been used.

• Ms. B
    • /
    • /
  7. @james – I am a supporter, went to setings > writing to enable xml-rpc but there appears to be no UI to toggle it on. (See screenshot:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeblogs/3773031013/

Unfortunately – same old errors in scribefire so FAIL on … and then Flock, scribefire, iphones and all your other third party applications will work just fine again

8. This is more complicating than the previos one

• adrin80435
    • /
    • /
  9. @ashfieldesl No that isn’t the case. You should be able to add through User > Add New.

@riserjodyb After you have uploaded the file you need to click File URL before clicking Inserting into Post. Please refer to a quick tour of New Edublogs features that explains this – http://theedublogger.edublogs.org/2009/07/29/a-quick-tour-of-your-new-edublogs-features/

@Mrs.B Yes through User > Add New. You do need to use usernames that aren’t in the system and if their email address has been used before then you can’t create a new username with the email address.

@kermit1 Please refer to this help information – http://help.edublogs.org/getting-started-with-edublogs/

@mseyfang thanks for letting us know and we are working on it right now.

@adrin80435 yes it does initially feel that way but once you are used to using it definitely easier.

10. I can’t log out completely. I click log out, but when I go back to the edublogs homepage, I’m not logged out. I can go right in with entering a password.

Where you log in, I click log out, and it goes to a separate page that says “you are tying to log out….try again” but if I do, nothing is different. I just get the same page.

• Ms. B
    • /
    • /
  11. The upgrade has made the dashboard page too wide in IE. Took me a while to realise the main part had dropped to the bottom below the lefthand side bar. I was quite happy with the old style…

Yet to trial a lot of things – only editing comments atm. Fingers crossed.

12. Pingback: ScribeFire and edublogs.org not talking after upgrade | Learning with the Fang

13. @Ms. B thanks for letting us know and we are working on it. If you got into your blog dashboard and log out there you will be able to log out.

@Linda J I think issues people are having in IE are relating to their screen resolution of their computer. Here is more information – http://www.ashbourne-town.com/resolution.htm

14. Love the idea of a blog, however the Ads by google make it so it cannot be used by school children (eg. secret love messages). It is against NSW DET policy to use such sites where this information is available to students.
    Is there any way that Ads by google can be removed from my blog? It seems a shame to have spent all the time setting it up only to not be able to use it.

• topping
    • /
    • /
  15. Now I have trialled adding a post with the new setup, I can tell you it is very frustrating – I can no longer see the whole post as I write it – it slips under the moveable sidebars at the right hand side, and seems to jump about when you edit in the html option. I have had to do a lot of scrolling to view what I have written, which is time-consuming and breaks your flow of thought.

I also haven’t had any result when I clicked the Quick Edit option, just to see what it might do.

I will try it on a different computer and/or adjust screen resolutions here as Sue suggested, but why does this happen when it used to work just fine? Not all users upgrade/ adjust their computer screens regularly and some settinsg in schools are quite fixed!

16. Please keep us all posted on how to embed widgets (HTML CODE) and upload PDF’s. I can’t get either of these to work. I will email my staff to let them know to be patient.

Thanks for your problem solving work! I do love the new look!

17. @topping Yes you can become an Edublogs supporter on your blog and use that to disable ads on up to 30 other blogs.

@Linda I’m investigating the why more.

@treagan you shouldn’t be having trouble embedding HTML code. Have you tried adding to a text widget and can you give us an example of widgets you are trying to add. With PDFs have you followed <a href="http://help.edublogs.org/2009/07/29/inserting-documents-pdf-and-powerpoints-into-your-posts/"<the instructions here -http://help.edublogs.org/2009/07/29/inserting-documents-pdf-and-powerpoints-into-your-posts/

18. I hate it… I hate it… I hate it…

You can’t even see the entire screen without needing to slide to the right!!

It will take a lot of getting used to…

19. That’s a little odd – what resolution / browser are you using sspata?

20. Hi Sue – Thanks for the info. but the computer I am using atm has a screen res of 1400 x 1050 – shouldn’t that cope according to this link? I still need to scroll across.

Seems to work in Firefox (but this is not the prefrerred browser at school). Are we to be converted in order to use Edublogs as before? This will work for home but not at school (and therefore for the majority of my users).

21. @Linda J Yes I got one of my friends to do some testing as I’m using IE 7 and not having any issue. It does look like there may be an issue with a version of IE. Can you tell me what version of IE you are using?

22. This new version of edublogs doesn’t have the option to embed videos…HELP!!!

• avneil
    • /
    • /
  23. Slick look, but I’m having a problem with the text of my posts. As I write the text continues on behind the menus on the right side of the page, making the text I am writing invisible to me.

• Scott
    • /
    • /
  24. I had been away from Internet (other than my iPhone) for about 2 weeks. SURPRISE!!! Edublogs has turned your dashboard 90 degrees. I’m not sure that I like it, but I suppose it’s like all digital shifts in my life–I just have to get used to it.

You asked for bugs, and I am having an interesting problem, and I don’t know if it is because I am using the Internet at a wifi hot spot or because of something on your end. I write often for my blog (which is an odd mixture of teacher day to day reflection and all the thinking that goes into living the teaching life). While I’ve been out of town I wrote my posts in a a word document and then went to post them today.

The problem rose it’s ugly head when I tried to edit the publishing date. If I published it in the past, I told me everytime that I had an error and it could not publish my post. So, I saved it as a draft, then I went back in and edited it, and then it posted.

Additionally, when I copy/paste from a word document the text box for the content expands past my screen size and I have to use the toggle bar at the bottom to scroll across my entire text which is a huge pain. I don’t know if this can be fixed.

25. Also, when will a photo widget be reintroduced? I loved the flickr feature, and I want it back (or one like it!)

26. @Scott Can you tell me what web browser you are using?

@ebabin I will road test publish date tomorrow. Can you tell me what web browser you are using?

Regarding copy and pasting from MS Word – Can you please read this article? And then follow the tips in the article.

The Flickr Widgets are still available. If you are an Edublogs supporter just go to Plugins > Installed and activate the widget pack. This will add the Flickr Widgets to your available widget area.

27. So far, it looks good.

I have one question; how do I print out my blogs? I’ve tried and just the border is printed out, not my content. Keeping a hard copy is essential for me.

Suggestions?

28. Like the new look – easier to find things. One problem, and maybe it’s just a one-time thing. Pages are easy to edit, but I notice that posts are not. Page being edited shows on right of page, and i can see the Publish button. But Post being edited, I have to scroll down to see it, and when I edit the post, I can’t keep the cursor in the right spot. It keeps moving around – drives me crazy. Also, have to scroll to the right to find the publish button. I realize this could just be a one-time problem, since those sometimes happen.

usingonlineresources.edublogs.org, Internet Explorer 7, XP.

Thanks,
    Fran

• lofrances
    • /
    • /
  29. The Text/HTML widget does not seem to be working properly. I’m trying to add a picture with a link, and “saving” the widget alters the code. I can’t get the picture to show up, but instead it displays the actual HTML.

I copy/paste in the HTML code into the widget box, hit save, and the widget inserts extraneous code…

WEIRD! Please fix!

• mshallteachesenglish
    • /
    • /
  30. For example:
    I type in this (I’ve left off the closing caret thingies which open and close html code so I can type it here):

img src=”http://mshallteachesenglish.edublogs.org/files/2009/07/seniorszazzle.jpg”

and when I hit save, the widget changes it to this:

img src=\”http://mshallteachesenglish.edublogs.org/files/2009/07/seniorszazzle.jpg\”

• mshallteachesenglish
    • /
    • /
  31. Things are looking great to me. Well, I’m having the same IE (8.0.6001) problem others are having with writing a post, but I’m imagining that’s being addressed!

Thanks!

32. First of all, great job with the revision, there is always a learning curve with anything new, but in the long run, I think the changes will save time and increase accessibility to blogging procedures. I know someone mentioned a scrolling issue which I am having. When I go to full screen, I cannot access any of the buttons needed to get back so I am hung up there unless I hit the back button. Also, when I am not on full screen the post sidebar covers part of the post. I know you mentioned something about screen resolution. Is this a solution to this problem and if so, what should that be set at?

Thanks, great work.

• yedi400
    • /
    • /
  33. so far, so good. looks like you are keeping us up to date! keep up the good work.

34. @mshallteachesenglish – we’re on the “//s issues

@lots of ya – we’re also on the IE / post issues… shouldn’t be long until they are fixed, thanks for bearing with us!

35. @yedi400 I’ve never tried full screen… will check it out :)

36. Hi Sue
    I have tried adjusting on 3 computers and none have worked by changing the resolution. I have tried:
    IE 7 – 1280 x 800 to 1440 x 900
    IE 8 – 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 720
    IE 7 – 1400 x 1050

The first is the computers most like those we use at school all the time. The problem is is the editting mode (i.e. when composing or cnhging posts etc.) I also think in the Quick Edit mode the post/comment may have slipped below and I didn’t see it.

For me, the most frustrating was trying to compose a post and not being able to see across the screen since the RH movable side bars covered what you are typing.

37. @Linda J and everyone else… is the IE / new post issue fixed up now?

It should be :)

Also the text widget /” issue should also be fixed?

38. Thanks for your hard work on the new look. I am still working through all of the features to get more familiar with it.

One thing I would like to request is correction of an existing “bug”. When I post a new item, my subscribers are automatically notified with an e-mail that begins, “Dear, Tuscaloosa Magnet Schools – Elementary PTA subscriber,”. Could the template please be changed to delete the comma immediately following “Dear”?

I would greatly appreciate your help.

• tmsepta
    • /
    • /
  39. @tmsepta this should – finally – be fixed :) Thanks for your patience and reminding us!

40. I can’t figure out how to upload a profile picture…I have an avatar picture uploaded but not my profile picture. It seems that I saw the way to do it before the upgrade, but now I can’t figure out how to do it. Help!

41. Thanks for all your hard work…

The internet Explorer issue is all fixed. Everything is visable on the screen and the text no longer hides behind the side bar.

I’m starting to get used to the new design. I think it was a bit of a shock at first!! ;O)

42. @ilovelit Looks like you have your Avatar (since that is what I’m seeing with your comment). So I assume your mean your blog avatar? Try Settings > Blog avatar

@sspata Thanks for letting us know it is working for you. Once we realise it wasn’t a screen resolution issue the team worked hard to fix. Agree – it is a bit of a change but once you are used to it — then becomes a really nice change.

43. I, personally do not like the new changes. I have had more problems in the last two days.

One suggestion I would like to see is the edition of font types, sizes and more colors. I do not like how the font shows up so small and plain.
    Thanks!

• sarameyer215
    • /
    • /
  44. @sarameyer215 You do have the ability to change font color. If you click on the Kitchen sink button it opens up the advanced formatting toolbar where you can use whatever color you like. Refer to these instructions to learn more – http://help.edublogs.org/2009/07/29/writing-your-first-post/ (scroll down to the section that says “Brief Overview of Your Add New Post Screen”

Font type and size depends on the theme. Some blog themes do allow you to change these. Alternatively you can mix it up by using Heading styles such as Heading 3 which is an option in the advanced formating toolbar.

45. It’s too difficult to add new users now.

• mrmac09
    • /
    • /
  46. I am having an issue with the alignment of images in my post since the upgrade. I have changed the theme three times in case it was a theme issue. Even images that previously were aligned with text wrap are now not and the look and feel of my blog is clunky!
    Any help would be appreciated; I have searched through the site for help.
    Many thanks

• jennylittle
    • /
    • /
  47. I can’t seem to upload a PDF file to my page. The PDF uploads to the media library, but instead of inserting a link to the PDF into the page, it seems to only insert the title of the PDF in plain text.

• R Myddleton
    • /
    • /
  48. Thanks- that looks like it will work!

49. I am experiencing a problem posting. The post box/window does not allow me to see half of what I am writing. The other components of the page, such as the menus on the right, overlap the post edit/write window, preventing me from making corrections as I type.