A few weeks ago, Edublogs passed a pretty big milestone, the 250,000 blog mark.

We were and are absolutely delighted that so many teachers and students have been able to use the service for so many different reasons and we want to continue improving, expanding and developing the site so that we can see in 500K, 750K and so on!

And to do that we’ve been working feverishly to set up, configure, manage, and deploy hardware and a system which will allow this to happen – so that you and your students sites will be quick, reliable, safe and ever improving over the years to come.

But in doing so, of course, we had to revisit our business plan because planning on hosting a million+ blogs is a pretty costly endeavor!

Now, a lot of you may know about Edublogs Campus – our institutional and district-wide blogging platform used by clients ranging from Cornell University to the Department of Education in Victoria, Australia. Well, that’s one means that we support free blogs on Edublogs and that’s carrying on just as normal.

The other method has been via Edublogs Supporter, which has allowed teachers to subscribe to receive extra features and more storage.

Well, today we’re improving that.

As of now, Supporters will not only get the same features that they had before, but also massive amounts more storage (we’re increasing 0.5GB to 5GB… a 10 fold increase!), along with exclusive access to tools like the Blog & User Creator, existing plugins (and new ones to come) and other great features.

Also, occasionally, we have displayed ads on sites to assist with covering hosting costs. This is someting we’re going to have to increase on free blogs, but of course Supporter blogs will not have any third party advertising on them.

And more importantly, what we’re also now allowing supporters to do is *turn off* advertising on up to 30 different sites (a whole class of students) – as well as your own blog being turned off automatically.

There are a couple of catches, first up we’re having to increase the price of supporter to $39.95 per year (that’s still less than $4 per month!).

Also, as I mentioned previously, extra functionality (plugins, blogs & user creator and a few others) will only be available for supporter blogs, and there will be a reduction in storage for free blogs too.

Is this ideal? Well, in a utopian world we’d like to give everyone, everything, entirely for free and without any ads! But that’d be a utopia… so, barring that, we hope to still provide great free blogs alongside an absolutely premium supporter service that is more than worth the price of a large coffee per month.

We welcome your feedback, thoughts and requests for new Supporter features in the comments.

Also, if you are experiencing any issues with your supporter subscription or previous credits that you may have lost, please email us at support (at) edublogs /dot/ org and we’ll fix you up (there are always hiccups in a big move).

You can find a bit of a better write up about what Supporter offers here.

1. Pingback: Edublogs Was Great…And Now Is Even Better | Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day...

2. James,

Pretty impressive stuff for less than $40 per year, if you ask me…

Larry Ferlazzo

3. James-

I for one appreciate the Edublogs world and would like to express my gratitude for always being courteous and expedient with any problems that I have had in the past. I would be glad to become a supporter at the new rate and I think that the functions you have added SHOULD make all the naysayers happy, but I know it probably won’t. For such a small price, people should realize that this is still a great item for teachers and students alike around the world. How do I sign up to this new membership? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

4. Hi Bill,

In your admin area just click on the Supporter tab and choose the period that you’d like to be a supporter for.

If you were already a supporter (or a subscriber to our ‘extra storage’ upgrade) then you are already a Supporter until the time that would have run out… no extra charge!

5. So, does that mean that someone with a free account can no longer have a forum? I’ve been looking around, and I can’t seem to find any post that says that forums have been removed from the free accounts. However, I just noticed today that my forum stopped working and the option to edit it has been removed.

• mrberkey
    • /
    • /
  6. Yes, I’m afraid so, forums and a number of other features are now supporter only. However, no forum post shave been wiped if you choose to upgrade they’ll all come back.

7. For $40 whether they be Aussie or American, becoming an Edublogs supporter is so easy and so valuable. Over this year, only a couple of hiccups and about 30 blogs later, I feel all teachers could afford that small price to make their class of student blogs free of ads.

8. Having just become a supporter after being a freebie for a year – How long should it take for me to get my supporters’ badge and extra space ?!!
    As a beginner in this game I’m very pleased with my choice and think it’s money well spent !

• helend
    • /
    • /
  9. Hi Helen, Thanks for signing up :)

Everything should appear within 5-30 minutes (unless you’re paying by echeck where it can take a few days for it to clear).

Just let us know if it doesn’t activate or you have any issues and we’ll fix you up.

10. James,
    I sincerely appreciate your assistance in my earlier posts and am very impressed with the speed at which the new supporter tab has been added to the admin area. I’ve just created a new paypal account and I’m simply waiting for my account to be verified so I can pay the fee to become a supporter. I think the price is justified for any educator that wants to keep ads off their blog…not to mention the extra features and the outstanding support and service that come with it. I’m looking forward to using edublogs more and more with my students in the future.

11. Hi James,

I just received parent permission slips allowing me to create blogs for 30 students, and I just now realize that I must pay to do so. I don’t mind paying $40 a year, but I want to use my school budget to upgrade if I am adding student blogs. Questions:

1) Will you accept school purchase orders?
    2) I’ve never used PayPal. Can I use a school purchase order through PayPal?
    3) What’s the fastest way to pay for this?

I want to get this taken care of as quickly as possible. It’s very difficult to get computer access at my school as computers are limited and usually booked months in advance. I signed up for the computer lab this Thursday 12/11 to get blogs started. Now I am on hold, and I fear getting lab access at this late notice might be very problematic. Can we get this done by 12/11?

• cindym
    • /
    • /
  12. James,

This is great. I signed up today. The only thing that I found challenging is that I have three blogs under my username, one for my whole class, then one for my reading class, and one for my math class. I had thought the supporter would cover all three blogs, since they are under my username, but when I went to the reading and math they weren’t showing support. Is there a way to link them? I have had to separate them so that they meet my needs to the best way, since I only want my readers to have access to the reading material and the math students, the math material. Any help would be appreciated, since that would mean I would need to be a support 3 times, ugh the cost is too great. Considering the main site gets 5 gb of space. Thanks for the great product.

13. I have had two free edublogs for a long time. I use different usernames and e-mail addresses. I paid to be a supporter for one blog. How can I make that apply to both, or can I? I really need this question answered. I have not found any information relating to my specific question.

• plc10
    • /
    • /
  14. Hi Guys,

Cindy – unfortunately we can’t take payment via PO, only through paypal – however, I have known some schools be able to use a corporate credit card via paypal or refund a teacher out of petty cash.

League218 – Thanks for the email too, essentially supporter allows you access to all the features on one of your blog sand to turn off adds (but not add features to) other blogs. We’l look into how you could purchase the full feature set for other blogs at a discounted rate on top of your subscription (say, get a pack of ’10’ supporter licenses) but I doubt we’d see that until next year.

plc10 – same answer I’m afraid, although you could always pay twice – it’d be 2 coffees instead of one per month.

15. Oooops I guess that finally explains what happened to my missing content ,,, plugins and space have been removed from existing free accounts. Can we expect to see more feature and content reduction during 2009 if the global economy worsens? I wish that these feature reductions would have been grandfathered in .. so that those of us with existing blogs would lose content and features. Beggars can’t be choosers I guess.

16. Frank’s Blog – I agree – It would have been nice to have had some warning about taking features away. Grandfathering those in would have been nice.

• Mr. H
    • /
    • /
  17. Still a great deal – here’s my 40 bucks! Keep going!

• arwilson
    • /
    • /
  18. Hi, I lost my forums and I was directed to this discussion. I’ve got several blogs all under the same username and I was just wondering if I have to pay $40 for each blog or whether $40 will cover all the blogs under the one user name? Thanks, Karen.

• librarybsc
    • /
    • /
  19. Hi Karen,

You can turn off advertising on up to 30 blogs but unfortunately we can only make the supporter features available on a per blog basis.

20. Hi James,
    I understand edublogs needs our help. I’ve been a freebie for too long already. The main reason I’m not a supporter yet is a silly one: as I never payed anything on line (lol), I don’t know how to do it.
    Now, I’ll tell you what I’ll do: early next week, I’ll be seeing the technician that takes care of my computer and I’ll pay him this service: he will pay by paypal in my name; as he has a store on line, he knows how to do it. Is that okay with you?
    I have a main blog and the others are students blogs: I understand I only have to pay for one blog. Is that correct?
    So far, I have never seen any adds on my class blogs or my student blogs and that is okay, because they are under 13.
    One more reason to pay and keep them as safe as possible!
    I wish you the best in your wonderful job.
    Ines (Portugal)

• inpi
    • /
    • /
  21. Hi Ines,

That should be just fine, thanks for supporting Edublogs too :)

When you do the upgrade, make sure you are in the admin area for your main blog, you can then use the ‘Disable Ads’ function under the ‘Supporter’ tab to disable ads on your students blogs.

22. Does this mean that becoming a supporter will do all of this for all of our blogs (educator blogs that we have under our usernames), or do we have to pick just one?

• Theresa White
    • /
    • /
  23. Hi Theresa,

It’s just an upgrade to the one blog – which you can then use to turn off ads on the other blogs.

But you won’t get the features for multiple blogs I’m afraid.

Would you be interested in a facility tat allowed you to get the features for extra blogs at a discount?

24. Was RSS widget removed in this latest change? Curious why no notification was given or did I miss it?

• Tony Searl
    • /
    • /
  25. I think it’s a bit rough charging $40 per blog if you want a forum – it’s fair enough to charge for the use of edublogs but to jump from being free to charging $1200 for 30 blogs with individual forums is a drastic increase. This is disappointing and doesn’t inspire one to stay with edublogs.

• librarybsc
    • /
    • /
  26. Well, actually, for $900 per year you could have a complete school installation (100 blogs) with unlimited forums, storage, features and at your own domain: http://edublogs.org/campus/

Plus you’d have your institution paying for it.

27. I would be interested in a package to upgrade all of the blogs. Just to be sure, if we have more than 1 teacher blog on our account, ads will be turned off on all of the teacher blogs on your account but features will only be available on one of them?

Thank you in advance!

• Theresa White
    • /
    • /
  28. Is this why the subscribe option on my blog disappeared?

• tammyflowers
    • /
    • /
  29. Is this the reason that my free account went from 100 MB to 20 and why I can’t add any more info to my site?

30. My school does not pay for websites. So now I am faced with a decision to make. Do I keep my two blogs (I have one for each prep) and limit the resources for my students? Do I pay $80 per year out of my own pocket to keep both? Do I pay $40 and lump my two into one? Or do I start looking elsewhere? I had hoped $40 would have covered both my sites. Too bad there is not a feature to split the upload space between blogs.

• epesek
    • /
    • /
  31. Hi Guys,

I’ll do a batch response :)

– Ads will be turned off on up to 30 blogs you select and automatically on the ‘Supporter’ blog

– Email subscription is now a Supporter feature, if you sign up all of your subscriptions will be saved though

– Yes, free upload space is now 20MB – you should still be able to post but if you have reached that limit, you’ll need to upgrade tp upload any more

– Unfortunately Supporter is on a per blog basis at the moment.

Cheers, James

32. Pingback: Changes in your blog | Technology in our classroom

33. Sorry, I’m new to this blogging thing, and I read the above, but still have a question.

I just became a supporter to eliminate the ads. I only have one blog. Do I have to do anything to make sure that stays “ad free”, or is it automatically going to do so once I became a supporter?

• mboland
    • /
    • /
  34. Hi mboland,

Thanks for signing up! It’s appreciated :)

No need to worry, ads are automatically removed from all supporter blogs.

35. HI James a few queries
    1) I am in England so how will this translate and I do not have a paypal account.
    2)My prsent blogs have something wrong with them and do not allow me to insert media of any type I have done all the things suggested by Sue to no avail and the tech guy seems to think deleting the blogs is the only way to sort this out.
    3) My school have some issues with any school blog with ads on so mmmmmI need to sort this

36. I do agree with the rest of the users on this thread $40 is an acceptable financial loss, but $40 per exsisting blog for users who have been blogging for years with edublogs is outrageous. I am one the teachers who made edublogs what it is by spreading it to my district and at conferences touting the teacher friendliness of the site and the site’s creator. Ads and kids don’t mix. Schools and responsible teachers won’t be allowed to use it and in this financial crisis, most teachers can’t afford it. I am sorry to sound so negative, but like I said before $40 is acceptable. I can’t afford $120 a year for this resource and my school will not pay for it. I’m so sad that this came about so quickly with no warning. One day I could add content, the next day I was taking out my credit card, twice, for two of the blogs I have—dirty trick. Its like getting a kid hooked on drugs by giving him a free sample and then charging him 3x the amount (my three blogs) after he’s already addicted.

37. Hi mrscunningham,

Paypal allows you to pay even without an account I believe – and England shouldn’t be an issue. Please follow up any other questions for support in teh forums and we’ll do out best to help you out.

Hi Athena,

Thanks for signing up – we’re looking into a discount for multiple subscriptions for next year so hopefully it won’t be that much.

Which best describes you?

Username is at least 4 chars long.
Please fill this out.
Create your free account
Username must be at least 4 chars long.
Lowercase letters and numbers only.
Please enter valid email.
Password must be at least 5 chars long.
Passwords must match
Invite code should contain letters, numbers and "-" only.
Please prove that you are human.

Setup your blog
Please use lowercase letters (a-z) and numbers only.
Please fill this out.
Congratulations! You have been registered.
Account Details:

Make sure to write them down!

Terms of service
Edublogs.org is a site specifically for teachers, students, librarians, researchers, professors, administrators, corporate trainers and anyone else involved in education. The following terms and conditions govern all use of the Edublogs.org website and all content, services and products available at or through the website, including, but not limited to, Edublogs Campus sites, and Edublogs.tv. The Website is owned and operated by Edublogs.org. (“Edublogs”). The Website is offered subject to your acceptance without modification of all of the terms and conditions contained herein and all other operating rules, policies and procedures that may be published from time to time on this Site by Edublogs (collectively, the “Agreement”). Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the web site, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by Edublogs, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. 1. Your Edublogs.org Account and Site. If you create a blog on the Website, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and blog, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the blog. You must not describe or assign keywords to your blog in a misleading or unlawful manner, including in a manner intended to trade on the name or reputation of others, and Edublogs may change or remove any description or keyword that it considers inappropriate or unlawful, or otherwise likely to cause Edublogs liability. You must immediately notify Edublogs of any unauthorized uses of your blog, your account or any other breaches of security. Edublogs will not be liable for any acts or omissions by You, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.

2. Responsibility of Contributors. If you operate a blog, comment on a blog, post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
  • the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
  • if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
  • you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
  • the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
  • the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
    • the Content is not pornographic, libelous or defamatory, does not contain threats or incite violence towards individuals or entities, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
    • your blog is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on newsgroups, email lists, other blogs and web sites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods;
    • your blog is not named in a manner that misleads your readers into thinking that you are another person or company. For example, your blog’s URL or name is not the name of a person other than yourself or company other than your own; and
    • you have, in the case of Content that includes computer code, accurately categorized and/or described the type, nature, uses and effects of the materials, whether requested to do so by Edublogs or otherwise.
By submitting Content to Edublogs for inclusion on your Website, you grant Edublogs a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting your blog. If you delete Content, Edublogs will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Website, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable.

Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Edublogs has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Edublogs’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Edublogs’s reasonable opinion, violates any Edublogs policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in Edublogs’s sole discretion. Edublogs will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.

3. Fees and Payment. Optional premium ‘Pro’ paid services such as extra storage, Pro themes and plugins, or Campus Packages are available on the Website. By selecting a premium service you agree to pay Edublogs the monthly or annual subscription fees indicated for that service. Payments will be charged on the day you sign up for a premium service and will cover the use of that service for a monthly or annual period as indicated. Premium service fees are not refundable.

4. Paid Services.
  • Fees; Payment. By signing up for Pro account you agree to pay Edublogs the fees indicated in exchange for the services. Applicable fees will be invoiced starting from the day your Pro account is established. Pro accounts can be canceled by you at anytime.
  • Support. Pro accounts include access to priority email support. “Email support” means the ability to make requests for technical support assistance by email at any time (with reasonable efforts by Edublogs to respond within one business day) concerning the use of the Pro account. “Priority” means that support for Pro account customers takes priority over support for users of the standard, free Edublogs.org blogging services. All Pro account support will be provided in accordance with Edublogs Pro practices, procedures and policies.

5.  Responsibility of Website Visitors. Edublogs has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, Edublogs does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. Edublogs disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.

6. Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which Edublogs.org links, and that link to Edublogs.org. Edublogs does not have any control over those non-Edublogs websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-Edublogs website or webpage, Edublogs does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. Edublogs disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-Edublogs websites and webpages.

7. Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As Edublogs asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by Edublogs.org violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify Edublogs using this form here. Edublogs will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. In the case of a visitor who may infringe or repeatedly infringes the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of Edublogs or others, Edublogs may, in its discretion, terminate or deny access to and use of the Website. In the case of such termination, Edublogs will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to Edublogs.

8. Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from Edublogs to you any Edublogs or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with Edublogs. Edublogs, Edublogs, Edublogs.org, the Edublogs.org logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with Edublogs.org, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of Edublogs or Edublogs’s licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any Edublogs or third-party trademarks.

9. Changes. Edublogs reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any part of this Agreement. It is your responsibility to check this Agreement periodically for changes. Your continued use of or access to the Website following the posting of any changes to this Agreement constitutes acceptance of those changes. Edublogs may also, in the future, offer new services and/or features through the Website (including, the release of new tools and resources). Such new features and/or services shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

10. Termination. Edublogs may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your Edublogs.org account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you have a Pro account, such account can only be terminated by Edublogs if you materially breach this Agreement and fail to cure such breach within thirty (30) days from Edublogs’s notice to you thereof; provided that, Edublogs can terminate the Website immediately as part of a general shut down of our service. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.

11. Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. Edublogs and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither Edublogs nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.

12. Limitation of Liability. In no event will Edublogs, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement or substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to Edublogs under this agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. Edublogs shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.

13. General Representation and Warranty. You represent and warrant that (i) your use of the Website will be in strict accordance with the Edublogs Privacy Policy, with this Agreement and with all applicable laws and regulations (including without limitation any local laws or regulations in your country, state, city, or other governmental area, regarding online conduct and acceptable content, and including all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside) and (ii) your use of the Website will not infringe or misappropriate the intellectual property rights of any third party.

14. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Edublogs, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.

This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Edublogs and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of Edublogs, or by the posting by Edublogs of a revised version. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees. If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; Edublogs may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.