3heads-gear3headschatchecklistglobehead-lockhead-plusimaclife-ringlogo-cornelllogo-melbournelogo-northhamptonlogo-portsmouthlogo-vancouverlogo-yokohamamail-line mail-wings pie-chartplayplugskype website

Well, it’s been some time in coming, but we’re absolutely delighted to let you know that you can now map your own domain to your Edublogs blog… and it’s simple as pie!

All you have to do is to visit Upgrades > Domains and follow the information there:

You can choose to do two things – first up you can choose to buy a domain through us and we’ll configure it automatically for you.

Secondly you can choose to map an existing domain to your current blog – so, for example, if you own jamesblog.com – you can point it at your current blog by just changing the nameservers to ns7.edublogs.org and ns8.edublogs.org (you’ll get more information on that as you go through the process too).

And what’s more, you can even map subdomains! So, let’s say you work at Deakin University, you can get your tech people to set the A record on james.deakin.edu.au to 72.34.61.230 – and you’ll be away!

All you need to get started is to buy some credits via the Upgrades > Credits (it’s 25 a year for a domain and mapping or 15 for your own domain) and show off your shiny new blog domain (remember to add it to your email sig!)

The only think worth noting at the moment is that it will take 24 hours for the mapping to get put in place, so do it at a weekend if you want minimum disruption to service :)

1. So is this a single blog solution? If I am a teacher wanting to have my student’s blogs appear on my web site from edublogs, would that cost $15 a blog?

2. Great news – this will make my boss very happy. She loves the blog I have set up for the Scotch Senior Library (theportal.edublogs.org), but was uncomfortable with it not being part of the school domain…so thankyou James!
    Michelle Sweeney

3. Thanks for the nice words guys.

@web2007 yes, this is a single blog solution – if you want to host unlimited blog son your school domain (and manage them all) please consider http://edublogs.org/campus

@barbara just use a free webmail account like yahoo, gmail or msn.

4. That’s good news.

Now, my question: I have already set up a blog. When I map it to my existing domain, what happens to my permalinks that have been bookmarked or to trackbacks and pings?

Thanks!

5. Good question :)

They all carry on working just like before, except redirecting to your new domain… so nothing is broken and all your links can remain the same!

So, it’s seamless.

6. I’m a bit confused about the subdomains bit, the explanation for which is a bit terse, to say the least!

“And what’s more, you can even map subdomains! So, let’s say you work at Deakin University, you can get your tech people to set the A record on james.deakin.edu.au to 72.34.61.230 – and you’ll be away.”

I don’t actually see how this is related to Edublogs. Could you perhaps add some examples of how to make use of this capability?

7. By the way, James, there seems to be a problem with the comment moderation for non-members. I wasn’t logged in just now, and figured it would be quicker not to bother, so I entered my name & email address, and the anti-spam word, but after pressing “Submit my comment” I received an error message:
    “Error: Please enter the anti-spam word.”
    I double-checked that I had entered it correctly, and then retried in a different browser, but got the same error message. Can anyone confirm the same behavior?

8. @rick “I’m a bit confused about the subdomains bit, the explanation for which is a bit terse, to say the least!”

Not sure what’s really confusing about it, honestly. If your school, as James used in his example, wanted to you to use a subdomain of the schools domain ( main domain above would be deakin.edu.au, and the subdomain would be james.deakin.edu.au), then Edublogs has the measures in place to cover the situation.

In fact, several of the wonderful users here have already used this option.

Or, for example, if you have a main website somewhere else (like myname.com), you could always make a subdomain with that domain name, and point it here (myclass.myname.com, for example).

What this does is offer up the flexibility to use as broad of a type of name as possible. Whether you need a brand new domain, already own one but want to point it here, or if you would like to point a subdomain here. Whatever the case, Edublogs has it covered.

@Nergiz Kern “Now, my question: I have already set up a blog. When I map it to my existing domain, what happens to my permalinks that have been bookmarked or to trackbacks and pings?”

That’s a very good question. James covered it a bit, but I would like to elaborate for clarification.

Old links (user.edublogs.org/2008/07/21/my-post-today/, for example) will still work quite well. The system recognizes your old domain, and silently redirects the request to your new domain. The system also sets a special code to let search engines know to update their links. All silently behind the scenes.

9. Dspite having worked with, and taught about, data systems for 40 years I still get confused by the term ‘Domain’. Do you meanthat I get a url dedicated to me ? What do you mean by Domain in this context. Your post really does bot tell me what value there would be when I am only interested in sudents or colleagues being able to see/respond to my dialy rants.

10. @kimros if you take a look at Upgrades > Domains it explains it in quite some detail.

Luke gives a pretty good rundown of the subdomain possibilities too.

11. Hi James
    I am new to edublogs and am not yet swimming along with all the new terminology etc.
    What is a domain? Why would it be good to have one?

12. Do you have the capability to point multiple domain names to the blog? Also, what happens to those people who already point to the feed that I have created?

13. Also, if I am purchasing the domain from you, I am assuming that I own the rights to that domain and can move it to another location in the future if I wish to do so, correct?

14. @lyn, @kimros:

An example of a domain name would be edublogs.org. Consisting of the domain (edublogs) and its extension (.org). Domain and domain name are typically used to represent the entire name.

An example of a subdomain would be luke.edublogs.org. In this example luke is a “sub” of, and belonging to, the parent domain (edublogs.org).

Initially, your blog here at Edublogs is on your own subdomain of edublogs.org. What the new system allows is for you to register and use your own domain (whatever you would like, subject to availability) with your blog, instead of the original subdomain.

Why would you want one? Could be for one of many reasons. The way links look to your blog, something more easily remembered, or maybe another reason all together.

15. “Do you have the capability to point multiple domain names to the blog?”

Sorry, but there may only be 1 domain mapped to a single blog. If you have multiple blogs, you may opt to purchase a mapping (and domain, if needed) for each one if you would like.

“Also, what happens to those people who already point to the feed that I have created?”

Old links will work just fine, and be transferred to the new domain behind the scenes.

“Also, if I am purchasing the domain from you, I am assuming that I own the rights to that domain and can move it to another location in the future if I wish to do so, correct?”

Yes, that would be correct. You will provide information during the registration/mapping process so that you may be listed as the owner of the domain. Edublogs will be listed as your administrative/technical contact only.

However, we cannot allow the name to be transferred to another registrar until the name has been active for 90 days. Prior to that time, if it were to ever occur, then you may request a name server change, and then once the 90 day period has expired you may renew the name with another registrar, and request a transfer.

16. I would like to see some direction for how to keep the domain name showing in the address bar. The domain maps correctly to my blog, but then the blog URL appears in the address bar. Do I need to have it mapped to a subdomain to keep the address showing? I ask because right now my blog is the front face of my domain but I later plan to add more pages and have the blog show up as blog.bmharvey.com.

17. “I would like to see some direction for how to keep the domain name showing in the address bar. The domain maps correctly to my blog, but then the blog URL appears in the address bar. Do I need to have it mapped to a subdomain to keep the address showing? I ask because right now my blog is the front face of my domain but I later plan to add more pages and have the blog show up as blog.bmharvey.com.”

Has your mapping completed the 24 hour wait time?

Currently, there is a 24 hour period from the time you create your mapping until the time it is activated. This is to ensure that the DNS has enough time to propagate to as many ISP’s/People as possible, so that when your blog becomes active, it won’t become unavailable to some people.

Once this propagation/wait time has passed, everything will be fine. It may resolve early, which is great. If it does, you are simply taken to your original Edublogs subdomain until the wait time has passed. Once it has, as mentioned, everything will be fine and your domain will be fully active. You can create pages until then, and once your domain is active all the urls will match up.

18. If I already own a domain name, can I re-register it with you (so it’ll be automatically configured)?

19. @jturri if you already own a domain you should be able to edit the nameservers fairly easily to point to ns7.edublogs.org & ns8.edublogs.org which should do it for you.

20. This is really great news, although I just had business cards printed for my site…So tell me how does this actually work? If I change my domain will visitors be redirected? Would I need the mapping too or just the domain? Not very techie savvy here, sorry..

21. I am in the process of filling out the form now, but any which way I write my phone number I am given a submission error, I have also written on the forum, can anyone shed some light? It’s driving me mad, thanks..

22. You can pay through paypal using a number of different methods, I don’t think you need an account per se.

For the moment, it’s the only method though, and I can’t see that changing for a while.

23. This is A great blog site
    my teacher has on and puts homework on it and it really helps alot
    Thnks Edublogs

24. I don’t know how to make my blog better. I’m giving all I have, homework, favorite songs and movies and questions, and votes and I even made a category where you could learn different words in forgein languages and nobody really visits. Is my username or URL too confusing?

P.S. I’m a student

Which best describes you?

Login:
Username is at least 4 chars long.
Please fill this out.
Create your free account
Username must be at least 4 chars long.
Lowercase letters and numbers only.
Please enter valid email.
Password must be at least 5 chars long.
Passwords must match
Invite code should contain letters, numbers and "-" only.

Please prove that you are human.

Setup your blog
Please use lowercase letters (a-z) and numbers only.
Please fill this out.
Congratulations! You have been registered.
Account Details:

Make sure to write them down!

Terms of service
Edublogs.org is a site specifically for teachers, students, librarians, researchers, professors, administrators, corporate trainers and anyone else involved in education. The following terms and conditions govern all use of the Edublogs.org website and all content, services and products available at or through the website, including, but not limited to, Edublogs Campus sites, and Edublogs.tv. The Website is owned and operated by Edublogs.org. (“Edublogs”). The Website is offered subject to your acceptance without modification of all of the terms and conditions contained herein and all other operating rules, policies and procedures that may be published from time to time on this Site by Edublogs (collectively, the “Agreement”). Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the web site, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by Edublogs, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. 1. Your Edublogs.org Account and Site. If you create a blog on the Website, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and blog, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the blog. You must not describe or assign keywords to your blog in a misleading or unlawful manner, including in a manner intended to trade on the name or reputation of others, and Edublogs may change or remove any description or keyword that it considers inappropriate or unlawful, or otherwise likely to cause Edublogs liability. You must immediately notify Edublogs of any unauthorized uses of your blog, your account or any other breaches of security. Edublogs will not be liable for any acts or omissions by You, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.

2. Responsibility of Contributors. If you operate a blog, comment on a blog, post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
  • the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
  • if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
  • you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
  • the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
  • the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
    • the Content is not pornographic, libelous or defamatory, does not contain threats or incite violence towards individuals or entities, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
    • your blog is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on newsgroups, email lists, other blogs and web sites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods;
    • your blog is not named in a manner that misleads your readers into thinking that you are another person or company. For example, your blog’s URL or name is not the name of a person other than yourself or company other than your own; and
    • you have, in the case of Content that includes computer code, accurately categorized and/or described the type, nature, uses and effects of the materials, whether requested to do so by Edublogs or otherwise.
By submitting Content to Edublogs for inclusion on your Website, you grant Edublogs a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting your blog. If you delete Content, Edublogs will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Website, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable.

Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Edublogs has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Edublogs’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Edublogs’s reasonable opinion, violates any Edublogs policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in Edublogs’s sole discretion. Edublogs will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.

3. Fees and Payment. Optional premium ‘Pro’ paid services such as extra storage, Pro themes and plugins, or Campus Packages are available on the Website. By selecting a premium service you agree to pay Edublogs the monthly or annual subscription fees indicated for that service. Payments will be charged on the day you sign up for a premium service and will cover the use of that service for a monthly or annual period as indicated. Premium service fees are not refundable.

4. Paid Services.
  • Fees; Payment. By signing up for Pro account you agree to pay Edublogs the fees indicated in exchange for the services. Applicable fees will be invoiced starting from the day your Pro account is established. Pro accounts can be canceled by you at anytime.
  • Support. Pro accounts include access to priority email support. “Email support” means the ability to make requests for technical support assistance by email at any time (with reasonable efforts by Edublogs to respond within one business day) concerning the use of the Pro account. “Priority” means that support for Pro account customers takes priority over support for users of the standard, free Edublogs.org blogging services. All Pro account support will be provided in accordance with Edublogs Pro practices, procedures and policies.

5.  Responsibility of Website Visitors. Edublogs has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, Edublogs does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. Edublogs disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.

6. Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which Edublogs.org links, and that link to Edublogs.org. Edublogs does not have any control over those non-Edublogs websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-Edublogs website or webpage, Edublogs does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. Edublogs disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-Edublogs websites and webpages.

7. Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As Edublogs asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by Edublogs.org violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify Edublogs using this form here. Edublogs will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. In the case of a visitor who may infringe or repeatedly infringes the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of Edublogs or others, Edublogs may, in its discretion, terminate or deny access to and use of the Website. In the case of such termination, Edublogs will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to Edublogs.

8. Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from Edublogs to you any Edublogs or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with Edublogs. Edublogs, Edublogs, Edublogs.org, the Edublogs.org logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with Edublogs.org, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of Edublogs or Edublogs’s licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any Edublogs or third-party trademarks.

9. Changes. Edublogs reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any part of this Agreement. It is your responsibility to check this Agreement periodically for changes. Your continued use of or access to the Website following the posting of any changes to this Agreement constitutes acceptance of those changes. Edublogs may also, in the future, offer new services and/or features through the Website (including, the release of new tools and resources). Such new features and/or services shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

10. Termination. Edublogs may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your Edublogs.org account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you have a Pro account, such account can only be terminated by Edublogs if you materially breach this Agreement and fail to cure such breach within thirty (30) days from Edublogs’s notice to you thereof; provided that, Edublogs can terminate the Website immediately as part of a general shut down of our service. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.

11. Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. Edublogs and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither Edublogs nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.

12. Limitation of Liability. In no event will Edublogs, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement or substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to Edublogs under this agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. Edublogs shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.

13. General Representation and Warranty. You represent and warrant that (i) your use of the Website will be in strict accordance with the Edublogs Privacy Policy, with this Agreement and with all applicable laws and regulations (including without limitation any local laws or regulations in your country, state, city, or other governmental area, regarding online conduct and acceptable content, and including all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside) and (ii) your use of the Website will not infringe or misappropriate the intellectual property rights of any third party.

14. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Edublogs, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.

This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Edublogs and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of Edublogs, or by the posting by Edublogs of a revised version. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees. If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; Edublogs may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.