Well, it’s been some time in coming, but we’re absolutely delighted to let you know that you can now map your own domain to your Edublogs blog… and it’s simple as pie!

All you have to do is to visit Upgrades > Domains and follow the information there:

You can choose to do two things – first up you can choose to buy a domain through us and we’ll configure it automatically for you.

Secondly you can choose to map an existing domain to your current blog – so, for example, if you own jamesblog.com – you can point it at your current blog by just changing the nameservers to ns7.edublogs.org and ns8.edublogs.org (you’ll get more information on that as you go through the process too).

And what’s more, you can even map subdomains! So, let’s say you work at Deakin University, you can get your tech people to set the A record on james.deakin.edu.au to 72.34.61.230 – and you’ll be away!

All you need to get started is to buy some credits via the Upgrades > Credits (it’s 25 a year for a domain and mapping or 15 for your own domain) and show off your shiny new blog domain (remember to add it to your email sig!)

The only think worth noting at the moment is that it will take 24 hours for the mapping to get put in place, so do it at a weekend if you want minimum disruption to service :)

1. Pingback: Edublogs Offering Domains

2. How can I get started, school doesn’t begin for another two eeks and I don’t want to use my home email.

3. So is this a single blog solution? If I am a teacher wanting to have my student’s blogs appear on my web site from edublogs, would that cost $15 a blog?

4. Great news – this will make my boss very happy. She loves the blog I have set up for the Scotch Senior Library (theportal.edublogs.org), but was uncomfortable with it not being part of the school domain…so thankyou James!
    Michelle Sweeney

• Mrs Sweeney
  5. This is awesome news! I was going to say I posted about this on my blog, but that’s a moot point as I see the trackback.

6. Thanks for the nice words guys.

@web2007 yes, this is a single blog solution – if you want to host unlimited blog son your school domain (and manage them all) please consider http://edublogs.org/campus

@barbara just use a free webmail account like yahoo, gmail or msn.

7. That’s good news.

Now, my question: I have already set up a blog. When I map it to my existing domain, what happens to my permalinks that have been bookmarked or to trackbacks and pings?

Thanks!

8. Good question :)

They all carry on working just like before, except redirecting to your new domain… so nothing is broken and all your links can remain the same!

So, it’s seamless.

9. I’m a bit confused about the subdomains bit, the explanation for which is a bit terse, to say the least!

“And what’s more, you can even map subdomains! So, let’s say you work at Deakin University, you can get your tech people to set the A record on james.deakin.edu.au to 72.34.61.230 – and you’ll be away.”

I don’t actually see how this is related to Edublogs. Could you perhaps add some examples of how to make use of this capability?

• rickdude
  10. By the way, James, there seems to be a problem with the comment moderation for non-members. I wasn’t logged in just now, and figured it would be quicker not to bother, so I entered my name & email address, and the anti-spam word, but after pressing “Submit my comment” I received an error message:
    “Error: Please enter the anti-spam word.”
    I double-checked that I had entered it correctly, and then retried in a different browser, but got the same error message. Can anyone confirm the same behavior?

• rickdude
  11. Pingback: Connect Your Domain With Edubblogs.org | OPENGIGA

12. @rick “I’m a bit confused about the subdomains bit, the explanation for which is a bit terse, to say the least!”

Not sure what’s really confusing about it, honestly. If your school, as James used in his example, wanted to you to use a subdomain of the schools domain ( main domain above would be deakin.edu.au, and the subdomain would be james.deakin.edu.au), then Edublogs has the measures in place to cover the situation.

In fact, several of the wonderful users here have already used this option.

Or, for example, if you have a main website somewhere else (like myname.com), you could always make a subdomain with that domain name, and point it here (myclass.myname.com, for example).

What this does is offer up the flexibility to use as broad of a type of name as possible. Whether you need a brand new domain, already own one but want to point it here, or if you would like to point a subdomain here. Whatever the case, Edublogs has it covered.

@Nergiz Kern “Now, my question: I have already set up a blog. When I map it to my existing domain, what happens to my permalinks that have been bookmarked or to trackbacks and pings?”

That’s a very good question. James covered it a bit, but I would like to elaborate for clarification.

Old links (user.edublogs.org/2008/07/21/my-post-today/, for example) will still work quite well. The system recognizes your old domain, and silently redirects the request to your new domain. The system also sets a special code to let search engines know to update their links. All silently behind the scenes.

• Luke
  13. Pingback: anseo.netanseo.net » EduBlogs is offering free blogs at your own domain

14. Dspite having worked with, and taught about, data systems for 40 years I still get confused by the term ‘Domain’. Do you meanthat I get a url dedicated to me ? What do you mean by Domain in this context. Your post really does bot tell me what value there would be when I am only interested in sudents or colleagues being able to see/respond to my dialy rants.

15. @kimros if you take a look at Upgrades > Domains it explains it in quite some detail.

Luke gives a pretty good rundown of the subdomain possibilities too.

16. Hi James
    I am new to edublogs and am not yet swimming along with all the new terminology etc.
    What is a domain? Why would it be good to have one?

• lyn Rudduck
  17. Do you have the capability to point multiple domain names to the blog? Also, what happens to those people who already point to the feed that I have created?

18. Also, if I am purchasing the domain from you, I am assuming that I own the rights to that domain and can move it to another location in the future if I wish to do so, correct?

19. @lyn, @kimros:

An example of a domain name would be edublogs.org. Consisting of the domain (edublogs) and its extension (.org). Domain and domain name are typically used to represent the entire name.

An example of a subdomain would be luke.edublogs.org. In this example luke is a “sub” of, and belonging to, the parent domain (edublogs.org).

Initially, your blog here at Edublogs is on your own subdomain of edublogs.org. What the new system allows is for you to register and use your own domain (whatever you would like, subject to availability) with your blog, instead of the original subdomain.

Why would you want one? Could be for one of many reasons. The way links look to your blog, something more easily remembered, or maybe another reason all together.

• Luke
  20. “Do you have the capability to point multiple domain names to the blog?”

Sorry, but there may only be 1 domain mapped to a single blog. If you have multiple blogs, you may opt to purchase a mapping (and domain, if needed) for each one if you would like.

“Also, what happens to those people who already point to the feed that I have created?”

Old links will work just fine, and be transferred to the new domain behind the scenes.

“Also, if I am purchasing the domain from you, I am assuming that I own the rights to that domain and can move it to another location in the future if I wish to do so, correct?”

Yes, that would be correct. You will provide information during the registration/mapping process so that you may be listed as the owner of the domain. Edublogs will be listed as your administrative/technical contact only.

However, we cannot allow the name to be transferred to another registrar until the name has been active for 90 days. Prior to that time, if it were to ever occur, then you may request a name server change, and then once the 90 day period has expired you may renew the name with another registrar, and request a transfer.

• Luke
  21. I would like to see some direction for how to keep the domain name showing in the address bar. The domain maps correctly to my blog, but then the blog URL appears in the address bar. Do I need to have it mapped to a subdomain to keep the address showing? I ask because right now my blog is the front face of my domain but I later plan to add more pages and have the blog show up as blog.bmharvey.com.

22. “I would like to see some direction for how to keep the domain name showing in the address bar. The domain maps correctly to my blog, but then the blog URL appears in the address bar. Do I need to have it mapped to a subdomain to keep the address showing? I ask because right now my blog is the front face of my domain but I later plan to add more pages and have the blog show up as blog.bmharvey.com.”

Has your mapping completed the 24 hour wait time?

Currently, there is a 24 hour period from the time you create your mapping until the time it is activated. This is to ensure that the DNS has enough time to propagate to as many ISP’s/People as possible, so that when your blog becomes active, it won’t become unavailable to some people.

Once this propagation/wait time has passed, everything will be fine. It may resolve early, which is great. If it does, you are simply taken to your original Edublogs subdomain until the wait time has passed. Once it has, as mentioned, everything will be fine and your domain will be fully active. You can create pages until then, and once your domain is active all the urls will match up.

• Luke
  23. If I already own a domain name, can I re-register it with you (so it’ll be automatically configured)?

• jturri
  24. @jturri if you already own a domain you should be able to edit the nameservers fairly easily to point to ns7.edublogs.org & ns8.edublogs.org which should do it for you.

25. So we cannot re-register (or transfer) a domain with (to) you?

• jturri
  26. @jturri – no, not at the moment I think.

27. please!!! can we have customizable css???
    it would be a greater learning experience!!

• oziray
  28. This is really great news, although I just had business cards printed for my site…So tell me how does this actually work? If I change my domain will visitors be redirected? Would I need the mapping too or just the domain? Not very techie savvy here, sorry..

• theenglishteacher
  29. I am in the process of filling out the form now, but any which way I write my phone number I am given a submission error, I have also written on the forum, can anyone shed some light? It’s driving me mad, thanks..

• theenglishteacher
  30. I want to create a domain through you, but I do not have a paypal account.

31. You can pay through paypal using a number of different methods, I don’t think you need an account per se.

For the moment, it’s the only method though, and I can’t see that changing for a while.

32. Pingback: Blog bling | A Journey into Learning

33. This is A great blog site
    my teacher has on and puts homework on it and it really helps alot
    Thnks Edublogs

• parisabrown
  34. I don’t know how to make my blog better. I’m giving all I have, homework, favorite songs and movies and questions, and votes and I even made a category where you could learn different words in forgein languages and nobody really visits. Is my username or URL too confusing?

P.S. I’m a student