We’ve had a pretty busy weekend at the Edublogs ranch upgrading Edublogs to the new all singing, all dancing version of WordPress MultiUser and – while there are still a few tweaks in process – we’re more than delighted to confirm a complete upgrade and introduce you to our new admin look and some rather great new features!

New Colours! New Design!

Yep, the admin area has been redesigned from the ground up to make it easier to use, more pleasing to the eye and generally just better. You can even change the colors (just click on your username in teh top Right or on Users > Your Profile).

Finally a customizable dashboard

Simply rearrange your dashboard (what you see when our first log in) by clicking on the ‘Dashboard Widgets’ sub menu… you can add RSS feeds, blogs linking to your and we’ll be adding more as we go.

Oh my what a beautiful uploader

The new uploader is a thing of beauty, now you can simply upload multiple files, and create beautoful and simple galleries on the fly, check out this video for more:

Upgraded avatars

Scroll down to the bottom of Settings > Discussion and you’ll see a whole host of new avatar options for your comments. You can set users without avatar to look like mystery people, beautiful fractals or even monsters :) And what’s more, you now have the option to turn avatars off!

And that’s by no means all, but it’s all we’re going to put in this post for the moment.

For further explanation and exploration check out Sue Waters quick tour at The Edublogger and our brand new Video Tutorials.

So please, take time out to surf around your admin area for a bit and enjoy the new features and let us know what you think below.

And FYI, we’ll be upgrading Edublogs Campus sites during the summer break to cause as little disturbance as possible.

As ever, please post any support questions / unrelated stuff in the forums as it’ll just get deleted as a comment.

1. Hello,

This is great. Ijust loved the upgrades. Taht is why I am a big fan of edublogs. I just have to figure out better the multiblogs application.

Kind regards from Brazil
    José Antônio

2. I love it! It’s really great. It was worth the wait!

• SocProf
  3. Hello,

I wanted to leave the following comment for the updated blog site.

When I tried to update a file that is on one of my existing posts, I couldn’t upload a file. Usually that change can be made easily when we manage our site.

Are you planning on making this option available again??

Michelle Laberge
    labergm@rainbowschools.ca

4. Hi Michelle, you shoudl be able to click on a buttn next to ‘Add Media’ to upload files, check out the video linked to above for a quick example of us doing just that.

5. I do like the new look but I’m having trouble with some tools that I’ve embedded. They’re not loading anymore … like bubbleshare… and a bitesize activity that I found on the BBC website. They were loading fine before the update. I tried reimbedding the bubbleshare slideshow but it still says error with loading.

• teacher102
  6. Heya,

We upgraded our embedding facility a while back so now you shoudl be able to directly copy the embed / object or iframe code straight from the site (like bubbleshare) and drop it in your html area or text widget.

If it’s embedding but saying an error that probably means it’s an issue at bubbleshar’s end – please post your embed code (using `backticks`) and specific links over at the forums for more detailed help: http://edublogs.org/forums/

7. With the change I am having enormous trouble using my site. (kandoshistory) there is a distinct lack of tools to write posts and approve etc comments…where did they go…why can’t I use them…it has meant wasted time and ineffective use for classes. I am all for improvement but this has been to my detriment..help please!
    debbie

• mslocke
  8. Debbie, have you looked here: http://edublogs.org/videos

Or clicked on ‘Write’ or ‘Comments’ – it’s not rocket science!

9. I like the new look. I can’t get the visual editor to show. I checked to make sure it was checked in my profile. I looked at plug-ins and did not see one for advanced editing.
    Linda

• l1smith
  10. Great

• Loretta Kendall
  11. Happy, nay ecstatic! I’d been having trouble with adding photos to my site (http://opob.edublogs.org/), but now my feeble brain and fingers can manage it:-)
    David

• smurph
  12. Much cleaner looking and user friendly. I need more functions to make my text behave! Thanks for the tools. My students are going to love this!
    Diane

13. Hi Edublogs
    I like the new file uploader and have used it in WordPress. BUT today I’m trying it out in Edublogs and it will let me insert an already uploaded image into a post, but won’t let me upload a new one. (I’m asked to log in – though I am already – then the upload box crashes).
    BTW The new uploader is known to be causing problems in WordPress. For many people, including some of my colleagues, the ‘insert into post’ button won’t work, although the uploader does. (The fault, if you read the WordPress forums, appears to be infuriatingly random). There is a workaround using the old ‘insert image’ icon but it makes the process quite clumsy especially for beginners. Just wondered if you are aware of this before implementing or if you have been clever enough to address it in Edublogs.

AliB
    Bath Spa University

• alib
  14. Better accesibility is better education. Congratulations.

• martinq
  15. I THINK THIS IS SO GREAT

• ajeemason2012
  16. Hi from Italy and thanks very very much for all your efforts, your many many updates and for the very useful video tutorials. It’s great to write on Edublogs :)
    anna

• anna
  17. I love it

• Taukirana Lemani
  18. Not sure if this where I should post this request, but here goes . . . Withthe advancd editor, I’ve always wondered why a selection of fonts is not offered. Is there, or could there be, a plan to offer, say the ten most popular fonts used? You know where one could pick, format, strikeout, bold, italic, underscore, “font”? eh? whatayasay? Anyhow, cheers all.

On another note, the upgrade has gone fairly well. It has actually given my studetns a chance to roll with it. If you know what I mean. I rolled out 160+ blogs about a week or so before the upgrade, and they have been busy little bees. AWESOME. I have found that they are vary adaptable – uh, the blogs and the students running them. Check out what they’re up to. You can find links to their sites here – – – – – –

http://moshej.edublogs.org/student-resources/student-pages-2007-2008-schoolyear/

The adjustment hasn’t been easy to get used to, but it has been worth it. Thanks for all the tools.

19. I switched from WordPress to Edublogs after WordPress upgraded to the new dashboard and I found it frustrating. Now it’s followed me to Edublogs. I can’t say that I’m a fan. I felt like the old dashboard was easier and I didn’t have any problems getting the buttons to work.

• amyboehman
  20. Quick question – Not sure what this will do.

Under Settings/Writing – What happens if I check the box for –

Formatting: WordPress should correct invalidly nested XHTML automatically

Will this fix the stray cullet when i get my cullets all messed up in a post?

21. I guess, while I’m here, I’ll ask this…

Since the upgrade, my avatar, placed at the top of my sidebar, overlaps with the widget that immediately follows it int he sidebar. Any way to fix that?

22. Could the upgrade have messed up my password? I tried to log in as usual today and was told my password was wrong!! I got a new password easily (which is why I’m here writing this comment) – but it was annoying!

• edel
  23. Great! Thanks!

unfortunately the italian location still have some bug:

Plural-Forms: nplurals=2; plural=n > 1 Project-Id-Version: WordPress 1.6 POT-Creation-Date: PO-Revision-Date: 2007-01-19 15:50+0100 Last-Translator: Stefano Language-Team: Italian (www.wordpress-it.it) MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit X-Poedit-Language: Italian X-Poedit-Country: ITALY X-Poedit-SourceCharset: utf-8 X-Poedit-KeywordsList: __;_e X-Poedit-Basepath: . X-Poedit-SearchPath-0: .

24. I’ll return periodically. Let me know if I’m posting in the wrong area, this comment concerns the new look and feel of the dashboard. Thought this was the right space.

I have to say that I agree about my comfort level with the old dashboard. It was rather easy to see what I needed to use.
    Maybe it shows up this way because I’m on a MAC, but I’m not too keen on the scrolling section ‘Getting Started with Edublogs’ on the dashboard. It was actually easier to get to what I needed with a static box rather than the scrolling box. I wonder, you know the empty space to the right of the title of the site? Could alerts and tips be placed there? That way the site admin functions could be higher on the page. Not sure if you have control over these options, but I thought I’d run ’em by you.

25. I was concerned that the new dashboard wasn’t as easy to use but watching the 5 minute tutorial by James has answered a lot of questions. Thanks for that.

• tlpsart
  26. The past 2 days I have had students that were unable to write a post. They could title and tag it, but could not get the cursor to register in order to type their post. VERY frustrating! Also, all of my widgets have moved to the left, under the posts. No matter how I try and get them back over to the right, I am unsuccessful. Any suggestions?

• amourkas
  27. Not sure why, but with the new upgrade, I’m finding loading every page to be very SLOOOOOW. Yesterday, I was so frustrated with waiting at least 2 minutes per page that I gave up. Hopefully today will be better.

• Jocelyn Moellering
  28. My problem with your new upgrade is that……..I tried to post something on my website and it will not show you. So i went to manage and looked up my post and it is there and said it would be posted at 7:00 in the morning and it never showed up. So waht can i do for it to show up on my website???????

• Ashley
  29. Well I went to access my blog and I can’t get in to it!!! I changed my password etc. but everytime I try I get a new view. I want my old dashboard, my old blog, and I want to keep blogging…!
    I feel like crying if it will bring my blog back…otherwise, what’s up with this? I’m about change when change is good but right now I am feeling very, very sad.
    Lin Robbins

30. Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback, can I encourag eall users who are have questions regarding using teh system and so on to visit the forums: http://edublogs.org/forums

A lot of issues have already been answererd and you can post your own questions there.

But just quickly

– we did have a short speed issue when we upgraded but that should be fixed now
    – you should be able to see your other blogs in the grey bar at the top of your admin area
    -Please post bugs / formatting issues to the forums with specific links and we’ll get them fixed up right away
    -Thanks for your patience :)

31. Hello:

I´m tacher form Mexico, My interesting is TIC´s for education.
    In Mexico have a Enciclomedia for elementary school.

Writing

Byee

• Covadonga