After lengthy discussions and weighing up of the pros and cons we’ve decided to allow javascript, iframes and object code onto Edublogs.

This means that you can now just copy and paste pretty much most ‘embedding’ code you can pick up around the web directly into your Edublog.

For posts and pages just click on the ‘Code’ tab and paste the code in there. For sidebar widgets just create as many Text Boxes as you need (under Presentation > Widgets) and copy and paste the code into them.

For example, say you wanted to play this classic game on your blog… simply go there, click on ‘Get Widget’, copy the code and paste it in your ‘Code tab and you’ll get something much like the below:

You can also use iframes to embed things like Calendars, put CoComment and Ligit in your sidebar or add live chat and extra Twitter options.

Why don’t you show us how you are using this new freedom!

Side note: As a result the Widgetbox, Box.net and Video Widgets will be replaced by this approach – so please recreate any widgets you currently have in Text Box form before we remove these widgets (next week).

1. I think this will be a good move – make things a little easier. But, just a couple of questions. Can you be a little more specific about which widget boxes need replaced with textboxes please? And give us a little more time than a week to get this straightened out?

2. Cool, first up it’ll just be Widgetbox, Box.net and Video Widgets, then we’ll see how we go (we might just keep the rest – these are the ones that obvioulsy need replacing) – how does two weeks sound :)

3. This is the best news ever James! Now we can use coverit live blogging and a bunch of other addons. Fantastic!!! I am going to rereview some if the tools that I have overlooked in the past to see which ones will benefit my blog.

Thanks .. Frank

4. alice .. we can’t view draft posts .. only you can see it!

5. Thanks Edublogs I’m loving these changes. So far I’ve added to my side bar: Lijit Search; a blogroll using Googlereader; embedded my Shared Google Reader; embedded my Cocomment widget plus added Technorati charts to my posts. Unfortunately I may have gone a tad widget crazy in my side bar and may require therapy to cure me.

6. Sue, that sounds like a fair self-assessment! hehe

7. I am going to start including “historical video games” such as Space Invaders on my class blogsite – http://atwaty.edublogs.org/ Our theme for the year is “Around the World – Across the Years” so a little video game history is a neat addition as a full size thing in a post. One problem however, I went to add some text below or above the Space Invaders game and I was unable to do it. It messed up my whole blog. I ended up just adding my happy historical memory of Space Invaders as a comment rather than on the actual post. Is there a way to add text on the same post as Space Invaders without messing up the formatting of the whole blogsite?

• atwaty
    • /
    • /
  8. A few things I should note:

– Make sure you’re using the ‘Code’ tab

– If you’re using ‘Object’ code, WordPress will break it if you edit and resave any post (so have it ready to paste again or use javascript) – BTW, I’m hoping we can get a fix for this soon!

– You should be able to write above and below it.

– Always post a sample URL so we can take a look at the individual post / page :)

9. James, I still can’t figure out how to embed Picasa slideshows which are flash, but have a bunch of “%” s in the file name frustrating my efforts to use the flash embed button…

10. Picasa slideshows should work now, just put them in the ‘Code’ tab :)

11. Big smoochy James. I had a bunch of flickr photos I wanted to get show kids with revolutionary war tag, now I can use the splahsr widget again. Wish I could find a commons only slideshow for flickr pics.

12. Nice
    I am finally working on getting a Shelfari on my blog.

13. Love all the recent changes James. Great job!
    And this one is just in time for St Patricks Day :)
    Happy St Patricks Day to one and all – Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig!

14. Pingback: iFrame Goodness: Embedding Google presentations | ICT in my Classroom

15. Pingback: Edublogs Gives Us New Freedom; Most ‘Embedding’ Code Can Now Be Pasted Directly into Our Blogs | The Edublogger

16. James,

I tried to embed a VoiceThread into our “Student Showcase” blog (http://esleflstudents.edublogs.org/) using the new method. It showed up in Firefox, but on top of the sidebar. In Internet Explorer it didn’t show up at all. Then I used the “old” method of using part of the embed code, clicking the Flash button, etc., and it worked fine.

17. Pingback: Widgets, javascript, iframes and objects (and all that jazz) | Edublogs Tutorials

18. Unfortunately Larry I take full responsibility. I used Voicethreads as an example for the Edublogger post. I found Voicethreads using this method really tricky and probably was a bad choice by me. Some iFrames and objects code can be a touch temperamental (trying hard not to swear) and you can break the code which means it stuffs up your post – badly. To save you stress the best method is to add the code once you totally written all text and added all images, and only when you are ready to press publish. I found just going back into the post after publishing caused problems which meant I had to recopy the voicethread embed code again.

I would be happy to change my example of embedding in a post from a Voicethread to another — if anyone can think of a better embed that educators would like to see let me know.

PS Tom your explanations of how to embed a Google Presentation are excellent.

19. @ Sue, thankyou for your feedback – you are welcome to use and reference some of the explanation and images for embedding Google presentations from my post, if that helps :-)

20. Okay voicethreads was definitely a bad choice to demonstrate on The Edublogger. Thanks to Tom, who contact me via twitter, and told me that he would be happy for me to use his screenshots of embedding Google Presentations. Tom – I haven’t embedded the presentations in my post instead I’ve asked people to check them out on your post and also thank you.

Thanks Tom.

21. Does this mean that your bloggers can put google’s adsense (or any other ads that use js) in their blogs?

22. Yes, it certainly does.

23. @James:
    Now with a way to make money from ads, the question is: How do you prevent the rush of spam blogs and scrapers? I’d really hate to see them dilute the quality educational content of edublogs.

24. How do we prevent all of that? We keep an eye on the site, ban any reported blogs and generally do everything we can to stop spamming.

Our signup form, for example, is waaay harder than a certain blog host that shall remain unamed :)

25. http://room18space.edublogs.org/philosophy/

I have been trying to post up an example my students have been working on, of the online collaborative mind mapping tool from mindmeister.com and have had success!!

Still curious about the height and width settings of the frame – I changed them to make the iframe wider but it did not change on the page?

Apart from that – WOW! Thanks edublogs for making edublogging more interactive and simpler to use.

• room18space
    • /
    • /
  26. Yippee – thanks James – love it.

My favourite is Feedjit – allows blog readers to see where in the world other readers have come from. (Very closely followed by Clustrmaps.) I get ‘em from places I’ve never even heard of – better go back to geography lessons. (Does anyone know where Diyarbakir or Hadramawt are?)

See Feedjit bottom of left hand column http://videoconference.edublogs.org then click thru to get your own.

27. PS: Why is my avatar not there??? I’ve uploaded it.

28. You need to upload a user avatar for comments > Go to ‘My profile’ or ‘Users’ and click on ‘Your Avatar’… once done you’ll need to hard refresh these comments (hold down F5) to see it.

29. Ta James – I worked out what was happening. It was reading my identity from my test blog where I hadn’t uploaded an avatar. I’ve now done so – it should be okay.

30. I found a site that allows you to make mixtapes. The site (www.mixwit.com) allows to search for songs you want from other sites, create a playlist and publish it to your blog. It even uses images of old recordable tapes that we used to use to make our mix tapes. As the songs play the spools move and you can see the tape moving from one side to the other. It looks really cool and could be a neat way to add some kids music to your site. I play a lot of music for my students highlighting different genres, styles and artists from classical to jazz, bobby Mcferrin to the Rosenshontz. This would allow me to put some of that music on the blog as well. It did appear as a very large tape on my blog so I went back and edited the width and height. I dont have one on my site right now but will have one up soon.

I am also enjoying the feedjit and the shelfari which is far cooler in appearance than Librarything.

31. Hello All-

May not be the correct place to place this need…but here it goes anyway. I would like to place a picture of one of my newsletters next to a PDF file link. It is just I do not know how to go about placing this picture into my Resource Page.

I am new to Edublogs, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you muchly!!

32. Hey,

Is it possible to use Google Adsense in your edublog. I tried adding one using Text widget but it is not showing up http://hurricanesoftwares.edublogs.org/ here.

I checked the source code and found that the google path in src is empty, though i have inserted correctly. I think that is removed deliberately as of no reason.

Anyone knows of possible reason behind this.

• Ashish
    • /
    • /
  33. You can embed a Google spreadsheet along with presentations too. Here is a post with an embedded ssheet as an example. http://tinyurl.com/29g7jq
    Follow these steps:
    1) On the Google spreadsheet click “Publish”.
    2) Under the RSS link click the”More Publishing options” link.
    3) From the drop down menu choose “HTML to embed in a web page”+change options if needed.
    4) Click “Generate URL”
    5) Copy the generated code and paste in the “Code” part of your blog post.
    6) :-)

34. I added a “ning” badge in a post and it has appeared smaller than the actual badge. Any ideas why

on my keanderson.edublogs.org

35. Hey James,

Good work! This looks really cool. If anyone on here needs any help with our widgets, you’re welcome to e-mail support@widgetbox.com and I’ll get to it. So glad that it’s easier to add widgets!!

36. I was able to upload our mindmap from mind42.com. It looks great, works well and my students can refer to it at home. Thanks so much :)

37. Today the mindmaps are not showing on my blogs! The codes are still there but no mind maps. Any ideas what could have happenend?

38. Probably something to do with who’s supplying the mindmaps then…

39. it’s a wide room to express my mind. thank you very much for this great feature.

• brotherholiday
    • /
    • /
  40. The possibility of embedding widgets more easily is the reason why I’ve moved one of my blogs from wordpress to edublogs. Thanks for making things easier for us!

41. Glad to be of service :)

42. Hi James, Tried to put Shelfari as a javascript widget in a text box but wont show shelf – show header but not shelf. Also can only choose 9 text boxes – are you going to allow us more?

Which best describes you?

Username is at least 4 chars long.
Please fill this out.
Create your free account
Username must be at least 4 chars long.
Lowercase letters and numbers only.
Please enter valid email.
Password must be at least 5 chars long.
Passwords must match
Invite code should contain letters, numbers and "-" only.
Please prove that you are human.

Setup your blog
Please use lowercase letters (a-z) and numbers only.
Please fill this out.
Congratulations! You have been registered.
Account Details:

Make sure to write them down!

Terms of service
Edublogs.org is a site specifically for teachers, students, librarians, researchers, professors, administrators, corporate trainers and anyone else involved in education. The following terms and conditions govern all use of the Edublogs.org website and all content, services and products available at or through the website, including, but not limited to, Edublogs Campus sites, and Edublogs.tv. The Website is owned and operated by Edublogs.org. (“Edublogs”). The Website is offered subject to your acceptance without modification of all of the terms and conditions contained herein and all other operating rules, policies and procedures that may be published from time to time on this Site by Edublogs (collectively, the “Agreement”). Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the web site, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by Edublogs, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. 1. Your Edublogs.org Account and Site. If you create a blog on the Website, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and blog, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the blog. You must not describe or assign keywords to your blog in a misleading or unlawful manner, including in a manner intended to trade on the name or reputation of others, and Edublogs may change or remove any description or keyword that it considers inappropriate or unlawful, or otherwise likely to cause Edublogs liability. You must immediately notify Edublogs of any unauthorized uses of your blog, your account or any other breaches of security. Edublogs will not be liable for any acts or omissions by You, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.

2. Responsibility of Contributors. If you operate a blog, comment on a blog, post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
  • the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
  • if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
  • you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
  • the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
  • the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
    • the Content is not pornographic, libelous or defamatory, does not contain threats or incite violence towards individuals or entities, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
    • your blog is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on newsgroups, email lists, other blogs and web sites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods;
    • your blog is not named in a manner that misleads your readers into thinking that you are another person or company. For example, your blog’s URL or name is not the name of a person other than yourself or company other than your own; and
    • you have, in the case of Content that includes computer code, accurately categorized and/or described the type, nature, uses and effects of the materials, whether requested to do so by Edublogs or otherwise.
By submitting Content to Edublogs for inclusion on your Website, you grant Edublogs a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting your blog. If you delete Content, Edublogs will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Website, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable.

Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Edublogs has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Edublogs’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Edublogs’s reasonable opinion, violates any Edublogs policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in Edublogs’s sole discretion. Edublogs will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.

3. Fees and Payment. Optional premium ‘Pro’ paid services such as extra storage, Pro themes and plugins, or Campus Packages are available on the Website. By selecting a premium service you agree to pay Edublogs the monthly or annual subscription fees indicated for that service. Payments will be charged on the day you sign up for a premium service and will cover the use of that service for a monthly or annual period as indicated. Premium service fees are not refundable.

4. Paid Services.
  • Fees; Payment. By signing up for Pro account you agree to pay Edublogs the fees indicated in exchange for the services. Applicable fees will be invoiced starting from the day your Pro account is established. Pro accounts can be canceled by you at anytime.
  • Support. Pro accounts include access to priority email support. “Email support” means the ability to make requests for technical support assistance by email at any time (with reasonable efforts by Edublogs to respond within one business day) concerning the use of the Pro account. “Priority” means that support for Pro account customers takes priority over support for users of the standard, free Edublogs.org blogging services. All Pro account support will be provided in accordance with Edublogs Pro practices, procedures and policies.

5.  Responsibility of Website Visitors. Edublogs has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, Edublogs does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. Edublogs disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.

6. Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which Edublogs.org links, and that link to Edublogs.org. Edublogs does not have any control over those non-Edublogs websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-Edublogs website or webpage, Edublogs does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. Edublogs disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-Edublogs websites and webpages.

7. Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As Edublogs asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by Edublogs.org violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify Edublogs using this form here. Edublogs will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. In the case of a visitor who may infringe or repeatedly infringes the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of Edublogs or others, Edublogs may, in its discretion, terminate or deny access to and use of the Website. In the case of such termination, Edublogs will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to Edublogs.

8. Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from Edublogs to you any Edublogs or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with Edublogs. Edublogs, Edublogs, Edublogs.org, the Edublogs.org logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with Edublogs.org, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of Edublogs or Edublogs’s licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any Edublogs or third-party trademarks.

9. Changes. Edublogs reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any part of this Agreement. It is your responsibility to check this Agreement periodically for changes. Your continued use of or access to the Website following the posting of any changes to this Agreement constitutes acceptance of those changes. Edublogs may also, in the future, offer new services and/or features through the Website (including, the release of new tools and resources). Such new features and/or services shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

10. Termination. Edublogs may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your Edublogs.org account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you have a Pro account, such account can only be terminated by Edublogs if you materially breach this Agreement and fail to cure such breach within thirty (30) days from Edublogs’s notice to you thereof; provided that, Edublogs can terminate the Website immediately as part of a general shut down of our service. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.

11. Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. Edublogs and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither Edublogs nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.

12. Limitation of Liability. In no event will Edublogs, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement or substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to Edublogs under this agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. Edublogs shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.

13. General Representation and Warranty. You represent and warrant that (i) your use of the Website will be in strict accordance with the Edublogs Privacy Policy, with this Agreement and with all applicable laws and regulations (including without limitation any local laws or regulations in your country, state, city, or other governmental area, regarding online conduct and acceptable content, and including all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside) and (ii) your use of the Website will not infringe or misappropriate the intellectual property rights of any third party.

14. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Edublogs, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.

This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Edublogs and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of Edublogs, or by the posting by Edublogs of a revised version. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees. If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; Edublogs may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.