After lengthy discussions and weighing up of the pros and cons we’ve decided to allow javascript, iframes and object code onto Edublogs.

This means that you can now just copy and paste pretty much most ’embedding’ code you can pick up around the web directly into your Edublog.

For posts and pages just click on the ‘Code’ tab and paste the code in there. For sidebar widgets just create as many Text Boxes as you need (under Presentation > Widgets) and copy and paste the code into them.

For example, say you wanted to play this classic game on your blog… simply go there, click on ‘Get Widget’, copy the code and paste it in your ‘Code tab and you’ll get something much like the below:

You can also use iframes to embed things like Calendars, put CoComment and Ligit in your sidebar or add live chat and extra Twitter options.

Why don’t you show us how you are using this new freedom!

Side note: As a result the Widgetbox, Box.net and Video Widgets will be replaced by this approach – so please recreate any widgets you currently have in Text Box form before we remove these widgets (next week).

1. Don’t worry James, I went back in to Shelfari and this time said I was using wordpress and used that widget. Comes out fine now, just need to tweak the width. Still need to know about text boxes or can all the membership widgets go in the one text box instead of a separate one each?

2. Hi, I tried to post this vodpod to a post on my underconstruction site (http://drugs.edublogs.org) but failed to make it work.
    can anyone point to me whether this is an error or just not supported. thank you.

3. script src=”http://widgets.vodpod.com/javascripts/recent_videos.js?id=288604&v=2&title=kding%27s%20videos&options[theme]=sidebar3&options[num]=4&category_id=latest&options[color]=606060&options[div_id]=vodpod_widget_311807″>/script

4. Ok so I have tried to embed a code into the text widget and when I save it it erases on me. What am I doing wrong?! Please help!

• Sara
  5. Please post about this on the forums guys and make sure you include the code you use as well (in `backticks`) and the URL of your blog or post.

6. Hi, new bloggermates! Being new to blogging as of today, I am excited about possibilities for my students, and learning as fast as I can.

7. Notice the time posted………..where is this time recorded? It is still April 4th 2008 at 2:33 PM where I am.

8. can someone please help or at least point me in the right direction. i can’t for the life of me work out how to embed a Diigo widget.

this is more than likely due to me error!

9. er, sorry to bother everyone; i seem to have done it and now feel really silly!

10. I’m having difficulty embedding the “standard” Technorati widget into my sidebar, via the text sidebar. Can anyone help?

11. Pingback: Widgets, javascript, iframes and objects (and all that jazz) | I.E.S. “Pedro de Valdivia”

12. Yeah, this cool news, i want talk with presidant of my schoo for open edublog to vicenza institute.

13. Pingback: Kantongin » Free Wordpress Blog with AdSense

14. The space invaders link doesn’t work right when i embed the code…

• borgzrule
  15. @borgzrule you need to embed the code they supply in your ‘code’ area (and also provide us specific links)

16. it’s great news and cool ! and is it adsense code too?

17. how do u do polls? one of my friends created polls on her edublog

• kitkatgummybear