3heads-gear3headschatchecklistglobehead-lockhead-plusimaclife-ringlogo-cornelllogo-melbournelogo-northhamptonlogo-portsmouthlogo-small logo-vancouverlogo-yokohamamail-line mail-wings pie-chartplayplugskype website

Update: By popular demand we’ve also introduced an ‘Add Users’ feature that lets you easily add up to 15 users at one time to your blog (and they can all have different roles too!) Check out ‘Add Users’ under your ‘Users’ tab.

We’ve got a cracking new feature this week, one that we should’ve introduced ages ago and one that we think you’ll love!

Introducing…. the Blog and User Creator!

Blog and user creator

You can find this beautiful new feature in your ‘Users’ menu and what it does is simple.

It allows you to create, in batches of up to 15 at a time, blogs and usernames for your students and colleagues.

Give them a username, pop in their email address, choose a URL for them and decide if you want to also be admin of their blog (how neat is that, you can easily administer every student blog you set up… you can even change the student to ‘author’ or ‘contributor’ level!)

So now you don’t have to worry about your students all creating blogs, you can do it for them here.

Or if you want to introduce Edublogs to the other teachers in your school… just set them up an account using this tool.

And it even doesn’t matter if your students don’t have email addresses, because there’s a simple hack you can use with gmail.

Anyway, as you can probably tell, we’re pretty excited by this feature, and we’d love to get your feedback on it so please tell us what you think in the comments below.

1. Pingback: incorporated subversion - education, media, community » Blog Archive » Big… no… Huge new Edublogs feature

2. Pingback: Edublogs | eteacher

3. Pingback: Educational Technology and Life » Blog Archive » links for 2008-03-11

4. Hi James

Great tool. I have set up quite a few blogs for teachers in the past and this would have made it sooooo much easier. Thanks for adding this tool into the ever-expanding suite that is Edublogs

5. Pingback: Simply create blogs and usernames for your students and colleagues | Edublogs Tutorials

6. Pingback: Edublogs « Gaming & Learning

7. Thanks much James! Just passed it on to all of my teachers, should make life much easier.

• Kate Olson
    • /
    • /
  8. Looking forward to checking out this new feature. I am trying to encourage my schools to start class blogging here in Mexico, especially in middle, high schools and university levels for now. This tool will help facilitate that dialog and make student (and teacher) blogging a reality … even in the least expected of places. Thanks!

9. Thanks for notifying users about this new feature. This will be so helpful in setting up blogs for students. I am going to check it out right now. Thanks so much!!

• Joanna Arkans
    • /
    • /
  10. Wow, what a great feature. I could have so used this a while back when I was working with a group and had to have each create their own accounts, etc. Thanks for doing this!

• Heather A.
    • /
    • /
  11. Pingback: New Edublogs tool to create blogs for students | L2eL - Learning to e-Learn

12. Simply amazing… it’s so hard to rely on kids to set up their own blogs, this is SOOO nice! Thank you!

• Erin
    • /
    • /
  13. Is there a way that student blogs can be set to be private from the general public and or other students. I’d like to set student blogs but want the students to be able to allow students they know to be read their blog.

• Ron
    • /
    • /
  14. Hi, I administrate a wordpress mu blog. What plugin are you using for the automation of creating blogs and accounts? I have to create the user, and then add them to a blog. It takes longer than what you just showed me. Great stuff!

15. Is this new feature a way to add students so that they can post to an existing blog? I’d like to add some of my students who have not signed up yet. Thanks!

16. Pingback: Buitengaats » Blog Archive » Maak snel voor groepen studenten een blog aan

17. Pingback: edublogs.org New Feature! « CESI Dublin Branch

18. @Rheinard + Aaron – It’s very much custom developed by us! Not easy either I can tell ya!

@Ron – For full privacy and global control of that you’re gonna have to take a look at http://edublogs.org/campus

@Journey… yes, it is… use teh form to create just users and them add them to the blog through the Users > Authors and Users tab.

19. What a great feature – this would have saved me hours back in January! I might even swap my Learnerblogs over to Edublogs (much as the thought pains me.) :-)

My next request would be a teacher feature selection panel, so we could choose which features out kids could access. I’d really like them to be able to choose their own presentation themes and widgets for example, but not change the email address to which notifications are sent. Just something for you to consider, James, in your spare time!

20. Heh, I have to be honest with you, the ‘user roles’ in WP are among the hardest to change and you realy aren’t going to find any other ‘levels’ than those listed here:

However, the ability to make yourself admin of each blog does mean that you can simply set the student user level to any of the above and retain admin control… which is pretty neat.

Spare time… what’s that? ;)

21. Ok, I am totally lost. I went through and filled out the information for my students, but how do I get my kids to their blogs and where do I go to administer their blogs?

22. Your kids will all get emails with their usernames, passwords and blog URLs.

You can just role over your blog name (in your dashboard) to see a dropdown of all teh blogs you belong to and can manage.

23. Hi James,

Fantastic to see some of these recent changes that make edublogs much more user friendly for managing student blogs. I was getting really frustrated, but this is great and Im back on board.

Thanks for all your hard work!!

• Suz
    • /
    • /
  24. Told you we were worth sticking around for :)

We’ve got even more cool stuff coming soon too!

25. Thank you!!!! This feature is awesome! I too was looking to perhaps make a change after a frustrating couple of weeks for my students, but this feature solves many of those problems. Bravo! This is wonderful! Thank you!

26. James, thank you for your help, but I’m still lost. My students don’t have email accounts so I went through the steps using gmail to set up emails under my email account. I have checked the accounts and there are no emails. I do now see their sites listed under my blog name, but if I click on one of their sites it just takes me to my blog.

27. Did you receive the registration emails at your gmail address?

Can you post an example site you’ve created please.

28. How many accounts can I create for my students?

29. As many as you like, in batches of 15 at a time.

BTW guys, go fix up your avatars! Users > Your Avatar :)

30. thanks James this will be a great feature for all those who are about to and will come on board and will save ever so much time. Like some of the other new links you put in and the fact that the students can now add an avatar quite easily. Widgets on the side bar are still a problem depending on the code they are grabbing. Anyway thanks for the revamp.

31. Thanx sooooo much. I work with tech-newbie teachers and it ussually takes me a whole morning just to get them to register and set up their blogs….I absolutely adore uuuuu!!!

32. This is a great feature especially in the Third World where internet connection is expensive. All my student can now simply log on to their ready-made blogs instead of saving for the time they’ll have enough to stay long at the commercial cybercafes to do so. Thanx a million.
    Austen, English Language Center, Lome, Togo

33. Pingback: edtech VISION - Visionary uses of edtech » links for 2008-03-12

34. hi! this is a great feature! it would have saved me a lot time in January, but nvm, I will use it the next time around! currently, i setup a class blog using gmail hack. unfortunately, my students do not get any updates of the class blog to their email inbox as i used the gmail hack way… so, its me who gets the blog updates via mail thru my gmail acc… So, the next time, i will surely use this new feature so that the students will be updated instantly!

35. Thank you. I am new to this….so I will give it a try!!!

• Nikki
    • /
    • /
  36. Pingback: Small Stories: A Slice of Life » TeachEng.us

37. I used the gmail hack to put in emails for my kids and then filled out the forms for blogs for my students. I never got email verifications at my gmail and I can’t get to my student’s blogs.

38. @dthaggard you’ve laready said that – you don’t need to repost it twice.

I suggest you revisit the gmail user creation because at the moment you’re the only person who this isn’t working for.

Aslo please provide a few usernames (as examples) that you have created.

39. I’m working on a project which envolves 18 schools. I would like to use this new feature to quickly set up each lead teacher with a blog and will probably also use the gmail hack. Am I correct in thinking that I will initially receive all the usernames, passwords and blog URLs to my gmail account, which I can then pass on the the group. Although I am willing to be an admin on all these blogs, I don’t want to receive notification of any comments or of those in moderation – is this possible? I would want each teacher to swap the gmail address given to their own email address.

• nikkikrish
    • /
    • /
  40. ” Am I correct in thinking that I will initially receive all the usernames, passwords and blog URLs to my gmail account, which I can then pass on the the group. ”

As you say, the fix is to get each teacher to change the email addres for their own – ther eare two places where this will need to be done, My Profile and Options (Admin email).

41. Pingback: _ _ it Happens, (when you step off the mill) « My Other Blog

42. Hi James,
    I just set up four blogs for some keen students in my class. I can get to their front page but when I try to go into site admin, I am immediately sent to the dashboard of my own personal blog. In my own blog, I can get the drop down menu and click on a student’s blog, but again it takes me back to my personal dashboard. Each student had their own school email address so I didn’t use gmail hack. What am I doing wrong? One of the student blogs is http://chocwya67.edublogs.org

43. I set up my blog and had a number of students send comments to it. However, in being adventurous, I changed the “look” and now I’m told the site is not found. What did I do wrong?

• cgwillnot
    • /
    • /
  44. How do I delete all the individual blogs that I set up for my students so I can try to set them up again? I have the same problem that Sue Wyatt is having. I thought i would try to redo the whole process, but I want to get rid of the student blogs I have already set up first.

45. If you;ve already set up blog syou’ll need to log into their backends and go to Options > Delete Blog

Although to be totally honest with you teh best approach is probably just to choose new user & URL names.

46. Pingback: Kids with their own blogs | Miss W. and her Smartboard

47. Pingback: A Little Help from Edublogs « EdTechTrek

48. Pingback: Goodbye Learnerblogs ….. | Constantly Reflecting

Which best describes you?

Username is at least 4 chars long.
Please fill this out.
Create your free account
Username must be at least 4 chars long.
Lowercase letters and numbers only.
Please enter valid email.
Password must be at least 5 chars long.
Passwords must match
Invite code should contain letters, numbers and "-" only.
Please prove that you are human.

Setup your blog
Please use lowercase letters (a-z) and numbers only.
Please fill this out.
Congratulations! You have been registered.
Account Details:

Make sure to write them down!

Terms of service
Edublogs.org is a site specifically for teachers, students, librarians, researchers, professors, administrators, corporate trainers and anyone else involved in education. The following terms and conditions govern all use of the Edublogs.org website and all content, services and products available at or through the website, including, but not limited to, Edublogs Campus sites, and Edublogs.tv. The Website is owned and operated by Edublogs.org. (“Edublogs”). The Website is offered subject to your acceptance without modification of all of the terms and conditions contained herein and all other operating rules, policies and procedures that may be published from time to time on this Site by Edublogs (collectively, the “Agreement”). Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the web site, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by Edublogs, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. 1. Your Edublogs.org Account and Site. If you create a blog on the Website, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and blog, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the blog. You must not describe or assign keywords to your blog in a misleading or unlawful manner, including in a manner intended to trade on the name or reputation of others, and Edublogs may change or remove any description or keyword that it considers inappropriate or unlawful, or otherwise likely to cause Edublogs liability. You must immediately notify Edublogs of any unauthorized uses of your blog, your account or any other breaches of security. Edublogs will not be liable for any acts or omissions by You, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.

2. Responsibility of Contributors. If you operate a blog, comment on a blog, post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
  • the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
  • if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
  • you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
  • the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
  • the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
    • the Content is not pornographic, libelous or defamatory, does not contain threats or incite violence towards individuals or entities, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
    • your blog is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on newsgroups, email lists, other blogs and web sites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods;
    • your blog is not named in a manner that misleads your readers into thinking that you are another person or company. For example, your blog’s URL or name is not the name of a person other than yourself or company other than your own; and
    • you have, in the case of Content that includes computer code, accurately categorized and/or described the type, nature, uses and effects of the materials, whether requested to do so by Edublogs or otherwise.
By submitting Content to Edublogs for inclusion on your Website, you grant Edublogs a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting your blog. If you delete Content, Edublogs will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Website, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable.

Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Edublogs has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Edublogs’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Edublogs’s reasonable opinion, violates any Edublogs policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in Edublogs’s sole discretion. Edublogs will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.

3. Fees and Payment. Optional premium ‘Pro’ paid services such as extra storage, Pro themes and plugins, or Campus Packages are available on the Website. By selecting a premium service you agree to pay Edublogs the monthly or annual subscription fees indicated for that service. Payments will be charged on the day you sign up for a premium service and will cover the use of that service for a monthly or annual period as indicated. Premium service fees are not refundable.

4. Paid Services.
  • Fees; Payment. By signing up for Pro account you agree to pay Edublogs the fees indicated in exchange for the services. Applicable fees will be invoiced starting from the day your Pro account is established. Pro accounts can be canceled by you at anytime.
  • Support. Pro accounts include access to priority email support. “Email support” means the ability to make requests for technical support assistance by email at any time (with reasonable efforts by Edublogs to respond within one business day) concerning the use of the Pro account. “Priority” means that support for Pro account customers takes priority over support for users of the standard, free Edublogs.org blogging services. All Pro account support will be provided in accordance with Edublogs Pro practices, procedures and policies.

5.  Responsibility of Website Visitors. Edublogs has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, Edublogs does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. Edublogs disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.

6. Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which Edublogs.org links, and that link to Edublogs.org. Edublogs does not have any control over those non-Edublogs websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-Edublogs website or webpage, Edublogs does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. Edublogs disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-Edublogs websites and webpages.

7. Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As Edublogs asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by Edublogs.org violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify Edublogs using this form here. Edublogs will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. In the case of a visitor who may infringe or repeatedly infringes the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of Edublogs or others, Edublogs may, in its discretion, terminate or deny access to and use of the Website. In the case of such termination, Edublogs will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to Edublogs.

8. Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from Edublogs to you any Edublogs or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with Edublogs. Edublogs, Edublogs, Edublogs.org, the Edublogs.org logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with Edublogs.org, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of Edublogs or Edublogs’s licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any Edublogs or third-party trademarks.

9. Changes. Edublogs reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any part of this Agreement. It is your responsibility to check this Agreement periodically for changes. Your continued use of or access to the Website following the posting of any changes to this Agreement constitutes acceptance of those changes. Edublogs may also, in the future, offer new services and/or features through the Website (including, the release of new tools and resources). Such new features and/or services shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

10. Termination. Edublogs may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your Edublogs.org account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you have a Pro account, such account can only be terminated by Edublogs if you materially breach this Agreement and fail to cure such breach within thirty (30) days from Edublogs’s notice to you thereof; provided that, Edublogs can terminate the Website immediately as part of a general shut down of our service. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.

11. Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. Edublogs and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither Edublogs nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.

12. Limitation of Liability. In no event will Edublogs, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement or substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to Edublogs under this agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. Edublogs shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.

13. General Representation and Warranty. You represent and warrant that (i) your use of the Website will be in strict accordance with the Edublogs Privacy Policy, with this Agreement and with all applicable laws and regulations (including without limitation any local laws or regulations in your country, state, city, or other governmental area, regarding online conduct and acceptable content, and including all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside) and (ii) your use of the Website will not infringe or misappropriate the intellectual property rights of any third party.

14. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Edublogs, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.

This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Edublogs and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of Edublogs, or by the posting by Edublogs of a revised version. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees. If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; Edublogs may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.