As an edublogs user you now have two avatars, one for your blog and one for your username.

Your ‘blog avatar’ will appear where your blog is listed, for example in the most popular blogs lists on the front page. You can set this in Options > Blog Avatar.

blog avatar

Your ‘user avatar’ will appear where your username is listed, for example in the forums or when you leave a comment on another Edublog. You can set this in Users > Your Avatar.

your avatar

Of course, you can use the same avatar for both, but you have to upload it to both areas.

We’re implementing this as we’re going to be adding avatars to comments soon and have already integrated them with the forums (you no longer need to sign up for a separate account their either!) The ‘user avatar’ will link to your ‘primary blog’ as set in ‘My Profile’.

at the forums

Happy cropping :)

1. I am relatively new here, but I think the new avatar options are great.

2. Hello friends. Maybe I am the newest blogger here. So new that I didn´t know how to set my blog and users avatars.
    I hope someone teach me how to do that.

3. Glad you like it, hopefully the instructions above will assist :)

4. Your instructions were great — well designed for techno illiterates like me.

Larry

5. That is SO great! Thanks!

6. The cropping actually worked very well!

7. Hi,
    I’ve followed the above steps, but can’t get my avatars to display (on the site). I “see” them when I select them, but they don’t view on the site itself or when I leave comments…
    I’ve tried different files … jpgs, pdfs… is there some special formatting?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    Gina

• webgina
    • /
    • /
  8. Hi Gina,

You can put your avatar in your sidebar through widgets and tit will appear on the forums too – we’re adding them to comments at the moment too so that should happen soon.

9. James, my friend… you just introduced me to a brave new world… i hadn’t gotten around to playing around with the widgets/sidebar… WOW….many thanks… and good parking karma to you!
    Gina in New York City
    http://webgina.edublog.org

• webgina
    • /
    • /
  10. Hi there.
    Any chance we can use My Voki avatars here?

Judite Lucas

11. James, it’s not just a gif. The embed code uses java. I cannot make it work with WordPress. I remember having read someone found a way around it, but have been unable to trace it back. There may be a reference to it in the link you provide, I’ll look into it and contact Helen tomorrow.
    Thanks!

12. Take a look at this comment thread now :)

13. Heyyyyyyyyyyy…. look at that!… and check out my blog as well–I got the avatar working there as well and have given you all a nod!
    Thanks again.
    Gina
    http://webgina.edublogs.org/

• webgina
    • /
    • /
  14. I can’t seem to get to the subheader that has been described. Whenever I click on “options” it just sends me back to the dashboard. Does it only work if you clicked on the “gimme a blog” option when you signed in?

• lydianchord
    • /
    • /
  15. I am having the same problem. I started with a blog but deleted it later. Now I want to change my avatar and it sends me back to the dashboard when I click ‘Options’. Do I need a blog to get an avatar?

• Holly Rodeo
    • /
    • /
  16. Hi, James. I do not have the option of a blog avatar or a user avatar. Is it because I have a learnerblog instead of an edublog? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

• Adam W.
    • /
    • /
  17. Yep, you need a blog to have a blog avatar and apologies Adam we currently don’t have avatars enabled at learnerblogs (although we will soon)

However, as you can see (Holly) you can have a user avatar but not a blog avatar just fine. Does that clear things up?

18. Hey James! Great to be back on edublogs and loving all of the changes/improvements. I missed you and all the great features/service you’ve built right in. Just before I signed off at the end of October you set me up with a blog avatar–wondering how to get that into the user avatar? Remember I had that bit of remediation from you, back in the day, before you were such a huge blogging world force? Any chance that could happen again, with the user avatar? Please?

19. Actually, the only person who can upload a user avatar is, eeek, you :)

Have you gone to ‘My Profile’ (top right) and tried uploading a piccie?

Like the new minimalist look BTW!

20. Greetings all,
    I am very excited with all the new features and it’s great to see my blog avatar finally up, I created a user avatar as well, and it’s there when I click on to see it but it never appears with a comment. Actually it did here when I first identified the problem. But I don’t see my comment anymore. What’s up?
    Bonnie

• blk1
    • /
    • /
  21. James–You are going to be so proud of me–check out this avatar! I am getting much better with the tech end of the blog writing. And thanks for the minimalist presentation, it’s easier for all of our dial up community residents to open. Kim

22. Okay, so don’t be proud of me, but it’s in there, I swear and it’s on my front page. Geez.

23. Thanks Andrew, did that and it shows up as my user avatar, but alas, unless it works this time, not here.

24. How odd… we’ll take a further look.

25. Hi I had an avatar posted then it disappeared… now there isn’t even an option. Where did it go?

26. I have a REAL avatar. (smile)

27. Under options there is no place to click for an avator…what can i do? Oh i am on uniblogs if that changes things

• Alicia
    • /
    • /
  28. Yeh,. sorry about that, you’ll need to move your blog over to Edublogs to get avatars – create a new blog here: http://edublogs.org/wp-signup.php and then Manage > Import / Export should do it.

29. What is a blog avator? Why would I need a blog avator? What is the difference between a user and a blog avator? How do you set an avator up on the blog; I don’t see any instructions on how to do this – where can I find this information? Please advise….

30. @alyce… erm… did you read the post these commnst are attached too?

31. For the people with “missing avatars” just give it a little time…mine took about half an hour before actually apearing!
    (Btw, James I love your avatar!)

32. My avartar is a black square. How can I change to a library icon?

• babowling
    • /
    • /
  33. Please try the instructions at the top of this post – and make sure you are uploading a jpg, png or gif

34. When I hit the link to upload an avatar it says website is unavailable or not working. What can I do?

• pagepalace
    • /
    • /
  35. @pagepalace Please refer to the forums and provide some more information (links etc.)

36. Hi,

I seem to have my user avatar set. (I’ll find out when this is posted.) I cannot, however, figure out how to set the blog avatar. The link on the dashboard does not work. I’ve looked for “options” multiple times and simply do not see it.

Thank you for the help.

37. When i attempt to add an image for my avatar, it take sme to a screen to crop the image… i do… but then it won’t let me click on the crop image screen… any ideas what i can do?? thanks

• tinybrat
    • /
    • /
  38. I am curious if there is a way to manage students’ avatars. I would like to use the feature on the blog, but a little fearful that someone may choose an inappropriate picture as their avatar. Please let me know if there is a way to ensure this doesn’t happen.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• knightpanther
    • /
    • /
  39. hi james i’m new but i think the av’s are great! ill check up l8r when i got my avatar going

40. Cropping system doesn’t work well. What is your size limit so I wouldn’t have to crop? That would be helpful. Thanks!

• angieknoll
    • /
    • /
  41. i uploaded a new picture for my user avatar, but once i posted a comment it still had my old photo what happened!!!????!!!

• karen2016
    • /
    • /
  42. I am new at this, so don’t shoot me.
    I can use ‘anything’ as an ‘avatar’???
    Where do I get those cute cartoony ones??

• pats
    • /
    • /