It’s pretty much at the end of each month… when the bandwidth limits are drawing near… that the only downside of running edublogs.org kicks in.

Essentially we’re going to need a dedicated server very very soon as in the first place we’re running out of bandwidth / space and in the second I figure we’ll all be happier with better performance (especially around backups). The problem is, however, that it costs. And when you’re sustaining yourself of a lecturers salary with a new mortgage, well, you know how it can be.

But I’m fundamentally against putting any advertising on blogs. Down the line I’d like to leave that option up to you (i.e. advertise if you want to & for yourself) but I certainly don’t want to slap ads on any edublogs.

So, it’s going to have to be sponsorship & partnership. Here’s the deal…

• Plain old simple advertising as a ‘supporter’ on edublogs.org
  • Inclusion (and write up) in the edublogs.org newsletter
  • Inclusion in the ‘backend’ of each blog (this can be done in a number of ways)
  • Partnership in offering edublogs.org users tools and services

And if you’d like or anyone can suggest other approaches / arrangements please leave a comment or contact me.

We can negotiate arrangements for 3, 6 & 12 months. If you’re interested or know anyone who might be interested please get in touch or let them know!

[Oh and for January so far we’re dealing in 32,665 uniques & 1,113,482 pages… and rapidly growing!!! Getting a 12 month agreement in now could be an enormous marketing bargain!!!]

1. James,
    Many thanks for keeping us informed. Do you have particular sponsors in mind? O’Reilly was the first to spring to my mind.
    How can we help? I guess that the obvious answer is: send money (but keep the lawyers and guns to yourselves).

2. To be honest I don’t want to ask any users for money, I don’t think this should cost any user at all… I guess the best thing people can do is talk to their organisations, businesses they’re affiliated with etc. and ask them to consider supporting or partnering with edublogs.org

• James
  3. Following up on my email, there is an alternative to the ‘going to organisations, hat in hand’ model — the entrepreneurial approach which could include a Google Adsense ad (160×600) along the right-hand side or the use of content-based text ads, i.e., Kontera. With 30k traffic/month, personal experience suggests either one of these models could produce the $35-50/month needed to secure a virtual private server.

4. PS:

Following the ‘corporate donation’ model, you might want to also consider a few providers from this page (http://wordpress.org/hosting/), one of which is Yahoo and another is WordPress, themselves, which says it even offers hosting for free.

So, I’m sure you’ve already checked this, but it’s what came up in my research. Hope this helps.